Comment

Originally posted by speycaster View Post
      great book steph got me tying flies again with real hope
      Thanks SC, much appreciated

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by tom_o_m View Post
        Hi TT,

I learnt a lot from your book, I genuinely think I will be a better angler as a result. Thank you.

One thing I would like some more info on is sea trout vision in front of them, i.e. how they react at night to a fly on the same level as they are? I fully understand why you focus on the vision cone looking upwards; this is where the silhouette against the night sky comes into play, but given the effectiveness of trout night vision and their binocular forward focus I suspect they can see flies coming towards them as a brownie would a nymph during the day. I ask because a trout in the shallow tail of the pool may not get the chance to see the fly in the cone unless it drops on their head, but in this shallow water the higher residual light may mean that they can see flies in front of them rather clearly.

I also understand that trout monocular side vision is good at quite a distance, although not for detail. So in the analogy above would a fly moving across a trout on its level be seen early in the monocular periphery before being focussed on when the trout either turns to address the fly or it comes into binocular range itself, or would the trout only pick it up when the fly enters the narrower binocular range?

I would be interested in your thoughts, I hope you don't mind me firing off such geeky questions!

Thanks

Tom
        Hi Tom,

to be totally honest, I am not educated enough on their vision to give you a detailed or a reasonable answer. I could hypothesise, of course. However, I don't think that would serve you well. Indeed, you seem better read on the subject than me.

Very much as I did with the life cycles etc. of the sea trout within the book, I would definitely hand such detailed questions over to scholars within this field. There will undoubtedly be someone out there who has spent a lifetime studying such detail, so it would be foolish and false of me to take a stab at it.

Tight lines and thanks for the support with the book,

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post

Hi Tom,

to be totally honest, I am not educated enough on their vision to give you a detailed or a reasonable answer. I could hypothesise, of course. However, I don't think that would serve you well. Indeed, you seem better read on the subject than me.

Very much as I did with the life cycles etc. of the sea trout within the book, I would definitely hand such detailed questions over to scholars within this field. There will undoubtedly be someone out there who has spent a lifetime studying such detail, so it would be foolish and false of me to take a stab at it.

Tight lines and thanks for the support with the book,

TT.

I credit you and your excellent book with making me think about what I'm doing a bit more. I do a bit of dry fly and upstream nymphing and was trying to draw analogies between how I have seen brownies address a fly face on. I really am not well read in on this issue. After reading your book a Google search found a couple of American studies about trout vision (non migratory/daytime focus) that are quite detailed.

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me!

Tight lines

Tom
          www.southerndeerservices.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X