No announcement yet.

fly swop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice John can definitely see something silver hanging off the end of one of them even I can't fail to catch a fish with one of them.

Richy

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
      Very nice John can definitely see something silver hanging off the end of one of them even I can't fail to catch a fish with one of them.

Richy
      Thanks minty let's hope so this has been my favourite fly for the last couple of seasons so let's hope it helps catch a few more for some forum members |\
      theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Agree very nice John

Comment

John.

I take it you tie these in variety of sizes and on copper tubes aswell.

Black squirrel
          Black floss
          Silver tinsel
          Kristal flash
          Jungle cock
          Red head

Have I missed anything? I am feeling a very strong need to have a good few of these in my box.

Cheers

Richy

Comment

No just aluminium and plastic I think copper is slightly to heavy for nights, well for me it is anyway, with either red or black head|\ as for sizes I only tie with 1inch to 1.25inch I've found it quite difficult to find a squirrel tail that is long enough for anything longer at the moment, find the hook does seem to stick out quite far from the wing but when I do get a tail with longer fibers I will tie longer patterns. I have tried black bucktail as it does seem long enough but never get any takes, maybe due to the bucktail being quite stiff maybe.
            Last edited by johnevs; 22-03-2015, 11:10.

Comment

I have got 6 done and will get the other 6 done asap and posted out by friday with a bit of luck.

Comment

Gent's the flies are starting to drop through the letter box and it's like Christmas morning if the first few are anything to go by then the charity box will be a very handsome thing indeed! A worthy cause is required so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Richy

Comment

How about the air ambulance as they do a fantastic job and rely on donations to keep going either way a charity in any form is a good cause so I'm easy really|\

Comment

Hadn't thought about the air ambulance I'd be happy with that. It amazes me how they have to rely on charitable donations and yet our taxes pay for the rozzers to have a chopper I know which I would rather have of the two.

Richy

Comment

Happy with whatever guys, but can I also make a suggestion please. Charles Jardine is running the London Marathon to raise awareness and money for Fishing4Schools. He basically goes around schools promoting fishing to the next generation. A very worthy cause and god knows we need more youngsters entering the sport. At least that keeps it within our area of interest? Not that the Air Ambulance is not a worthy cause, of course.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/...athon-campaign

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                        Happy with whatever guys, but can I also make a suggestion please. Charles Jardine is running the London Marathon to raise awareness and money for Fishing4Schools. He basically goes around schools promoting fishing to the next generation. A very worthy cause and god knows we need more youngsters entering the sport. At least that keeps it within our area of interest? Not that the Air Ambulance is not a worthy cause, of course.

http://www.countryside-alliance.org/...athon-campaign

TT.
                        It'll go with that if everybody else is|\

Comment

Both are worthy causes, quite happy either way :>

Comment

Well here are my efforts, which will be in the post on Monday. There is a story behind the fly, which l have named the Scruffy Stoats Tail. Before l went on my first Sea Trout session, l walked the area where l was told l would be fishing with the secretary of the club who kindly offered to take me out for my first session.

While looking into the pools hoping to spot some sea trout in the low water conditions l saw some nylon coming from a branch near a lay, which had a fly attached to.

The fly ended in my largely empty fly box, except from what l had bought from the local shop. This fly was rough, not much hair left on it, but looked very fishy. I was told it was a well used Stoats Tail. l used it on my first trip and landed my first Sewin, that was two seasons ago. Something l will never forget.

Every season since especially in low water conditions this fly has done me well and accounted for most of my fish, even though tied in this manor, which is ideal as l am a notice fly-tyer!

Hopefully if we do the same again next year, when l will be able to show how l have progressed. Otherwise l hope this fly brings the participants tight lines.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Chrisc161076; 28-03-2015, 21:26. Reason: *

Comment

Minty, have mine arived yet?

Comment

Yeah john check out ebay they are bidding well

Comment

Working...
                                X