Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been reading these recents posts with great interest. After the vote of no confidence in the committee a new chairman was nominated and took the chair to elect his new committee. What not many members know is this new chairman caught 12 salmon before June 16th this year, all on the worm so probabaly deep hooked and would not survive long. At the time he publicaly boasted this fact to most cenarth anglers. The question must be asked why did the old committee allow him to get away with this? 12 dead spring salmon probabaly all hens. What would dave mee say to this? Is it time to ban the worm? These 12salmon were caught intentionally he was not fishing for sea trout and I hope the people who know this will not deny it.

Comment

Originally posted by daisyone View Post
      I've been reading these recents posts with great interest. After the vote of no confidence in the committee a new chairman was nominated and took the chair to elect his new committee. What not many members know is this new chairman caught 12 salmon before June 16th this year, all on the worm so probabaly deep hooked and would not survive long. At the time he publicaly boasted this fact to most cenarth anglers. The question must be asked why did the old committee allow him to get away with this? 12 dead spring salmon probabaly all hens. What would dave mee say to this? Is it time to ban the worm? These 12salmon were caught intentionally he was not fishing for sea trout and I hope the people who know this will not deny it.

These rumors/facts were circulating as far upstream as Tregaron at the time, now tell me why there is not a COMPULSORY NO WORMING policy in place before June 16th.Most anglers I know who predominantly use worm refrain from using them until after this date.
      As for increasing the catch and keep limmit, it's just plain stupidity and total ignorance of the situation given the migratory fish stats at this time.

Cap

Comment

I don't agree with worm fishing before June the 16 th personally, but it is a legal means of fishing,and that chap was within his right to do so,and I have no doubt he was fishing for Sewin but unfortunately where he was fishing they do catch a lot of Salmon.Morally was he right to fish in that location is a different question?
        There is a totally different mind set with some downstream and up, a fish is their property and not a wonder of nature that needs to be respected and conserved.It's a antiquated way of thinking that we've got to put up with for the moment. I suggest if you want change we need to put pressure on the NRW to bring our fishery rules up to date! No guidelines where clubs can waiver but critical rules in black and white and legally bound.

Comment

Going back to the TTA agm last Friday I was unable to attend due to illness. What an important meeting to miss. If only postal voting was in the rule book.surely it's every members democratic right to vote at an agm even if they can't attend. Can somebody shine a light as to how I can find this out and what steps I can take to enforce this. I feel that c&r is closer due to last Fridays meeting.

Comment

Going back to the TTA agm last Friday I was unable to attend due to illness. What an important meeting to miss. If only postal voting was in the rule book.surely it's every members democratic right to vote at an agm even if they can't attend. Can somebody shine a light as to how I can find this out and what steps I can take to enforce this. I feel that c&r is closer due to last Fridays meeting.
            Daisyone: postal voting has been proposed but vigorously opposed and defeated at a recent TTA AGM (2013 I think).
            Around the time of this attempt to introduce postal votes, a TTA club official informed me that it was a requirement for organisations which have received lottery funding (the TTA has) to have "equitable voting", although this wasn't raised at the AGM or committee levels to my knowledge. Clearly postal voting would provide equitable voting for those of us unable to attend for whatever reason. I've not yet managed to establish the validity of this statement re the lottery funding requirements, perhaps somebody else can?

Comment

Very very interesting thank you. Anybody else with any other ideas?

Comment

A big step backward....But good for the future?

Well for those of you who may consider the health of our rivers, and the sustainability of the fish stocks within, there could be a glimmer of hope. For we should always consider that the fishmongers/lunatics are doing us all a favour, all be it in a roundabout sort of way.
                Their obvious intention to reverse the conservation measures recently imposed shows a lamentable naivety and will play directly into the hands of NRW who will, in the fullness of time, impose a mandatory catch and release policy. Fine by me as I like to catch fish not eat them..........
                It was interesting to note however that during my recent visit to the Teifi, I was the only one I could see was actually debarbing my hooks !

Comment

Daisyone, what do you think the old committee should have done??

Don't get me wrong, I do not condone what the new chairman did but was he breaking any club or NRW rule?

Comment

Reading this with interest...

It is unfortunately a while since I've been up to fish your beautiful river. Just an observation with the decline in Salmon stocks in mind- I believe the problem lies with access to some of the smaller tributaries within the catchment. I noticed on a couple of beats on the Llandysul waters that small streams would run into banks of shingle-sometimes 5-10ft away from the main river. It would(in my experience) have taken a quite significant rise in the water level for Salmonids to be able to get in to these streams. This I think has caused a lot of problems on a lot of river systems- bigger,flashier spates moving a lot of rocks/pebbles/shingle and depositing them in the wrong places. I have no knowledge as to whether this happened historically. I believe it has had a detrimental effect on one of my local rivers. I would imagine that a decline in redd numbers would have been seen in these streams that may lead to overcutting in more accessible tributaries.

Comment

I've just been informed that one of the members who has put his name forward to become a member of the new committee was seen fishing the river cych after the 30th september and when challenged by an ex committee member he just shrugged his shoulders and carried on fishing.
                      This comes as no surprise from this individual and I think we can expect a lot more of this flagrant breach of the rules and by-laws before the season ends.
                      I do hope that he sees this and withdraws his name from the list of nominations.
                      The new chairman will also be made aware of what took place.

Comment

This is terrible news,I was on the committee when this rule came in,it was done to protect Sewin which are only a few weeks away from spawning!Hope this isn't a precursor of things ahead. Slightly ironic isn't it, after all the rule changes over the last decade to conserve Sewin stocks,there's been a slight improvement this year,now it looks it might be all undone.Very sad.

Comment

The rumourmill is rife regarding this River Cych incident. This individual M.C. should have known better especially as he wants to be part of this new committee. Apparently it"s not the first time he"s stepped over the line so to speak. I hope the new chairman elect grabs this by the throat with some kind of disciplinary action against him so that he can restore some faith in his members. T.T.A. cannot have a free for all attitude, they need to keep their members and discipline.

Comment

Hi daisyone,
                            Having checked with the ex committe member that has started all this nonsence,he called him to greet him, he has confirmed that the member concerned was NOT fishing on TTA water on the Cych, he did not challenge him as you have stated because he had no reason to, if you read the EA Wales rules it states that "all west wales rivers including the tributaries are open for sea trout and salmon fishing until the 17th October" he has in his possesion a valid EA license to fish for salmon and had permission, i would stongly recommend that you get your facts right before accusing anyone of carrying out illegal activities, i wonder if you, or whoever is feeding you this wrong information have some personal vendeta against this person concerned, as for your statement that he has stepped over the line previously, i think you should come up with the evidence proving this, i personally know the person you are talking about and i can confirm that at no time has he been before the committee, in fact he is still awaiting a letter of apology for the ex committe as he was accused of something to do with coracle fishing that the EA confirmed was not true.
                            I am concerned that this forum is being used to undermine the incoming committee before it has even been formed, the out going committee was voted out by an overwheming majority of members present at the AGM and it all sounds like sour grapes to me, to confirm the the voting at the AGM, 42 for the vote of no confidence in the committee with 26 against, if you assume 10 of the votes against being committee members it leaves 16 supporting the committee, this thread is insulting to at least 20% of the TTA members calling them idiots because they are standing up for the members, they were all aware of the breaking of the rules by the committee not least that they overruled the trustees decision over a appeal by one member that the trustees found in favour of the member when the rule book states quite clearly that the trustees decision will be final and binding.
                            Lets now stop the nonsence, it is bringing the TTA into disrepute, no decision to repeal any of the new rules has been discussed by any prospective committee member, we should all now be commited to getting the club running smoothly for the benefit of everyone

Comment

Perhaps if all members had the chance to vote via postal voting, we may find out what the majority of members think about this association and how it's operated.

Comment

Hi ERC, very interesting post. But 68 members in an A.G.M. That includes the committee when you have nearly 300 members. Shouldn't they all be allowed a vote especially if they are too old to attend or possibly disabled. I for one couldn't attend due to illness. An important meeting to miss wouldn't you say. I'd be very interested to hear your views and reasons on this as would all the 300 members I suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X