Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar balls

Happy New Year to all!
    As per usual for this time of the year, I this week decided to start tying a few flies again. Full of anticipation went to the garage got my big box of materials out and when opened was greeted with a lifetimes supply of ‘antennae for Francis flies! Mites/ bugs had eaten every feather in my box and just left quills and stalks! My fault I should have had them in secure ziplock bags but there we are.
    could anybody tell me what would protect my replacement materials please? It was suggested to me that Cedar Balls do the trick but would appreciate confirmation or any suggestions please? Many thanks in anticipation.

Originally posted by Willies62 View Post
    Happy New Year to all!
    As per usual for this time of the year, I this week decided to start tying a few flies again. Full of anticipation went to the garage got my big box of materials out and when opened was greeted with a lifetimes supply of ‘antennae for Francis flies! Mites/ bugs had eaten every feather in my box and just left quills and stalks! My fault I should have had them in secure ziplock bags but there we are.
    could anybody tell me what would protect my replacement materials please? It was suggested to me that Cedar Balls do the trick but would appreciate confirmation or any suggestions please? Many thanks in anticipation.
    That sucks! Sorry to hear that, W62.

Couple of things; when purchasing shop materials they should be fine. However, be careful about introducing e.g. pheasant tails that someone has given you, as they would not have been treated. When receiving such gifts, either freeze them for a day or so or microwave them for a couple of seconds. This will kill any little nasties!

As for futureproofing your collection; moth balls are a good suggestion and often used in the fly tying trade.

Hope that helps,

TT.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply and advice TT. I was given pheasant skin some time back so that is where the little mites probably came from.
      will get hold of some Moth Balls to protect the materials in future.
      Many thanks and tight lines for the coming season.

Comment

Working...
      X