rod to reel match.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod to reel match.

About to receive a 12ft 6wt loomis switch rod. Will a standard 6wt reel be appropriate?

Many thanks

Mintylad.

Hi Mintylad

I was recently wondering the same thing after buying a Shakespeare Switch 7/8 rod. On doing some research and reading the threads on this forum, I realised that the rating was for a Spey type line and so the 7/9 reservoir size reels that I was intending to use were going to be too small for the job.

I think the Switch rods go with the AFTTA ratings rather than the AFTMA so a 6 weight would be roughly equivalent to a 8/9 in AFTMA ratings?

Howell

Comment

Originally posted by mintylad View Post
      About to receive a 12ft 6wt loomis switch rod. Will a standard 6wt reel be appropriate?

Many thanks

Mintylad.
      Having gone through this minefield myself Mintylad, I can confirm that Howell is correct ... Switch rod ratings are (invariably) rated for double handed salmon rods (i.e. AFTTA Spey line weights).

Comment

Yep get a small salmon reel. I use an Orvis mach iv with my switch rod and it's about right. Plenty of room for the line and backing but not too heavy or cumbersome

Comment

I was thinking of getting the greys 900 reel have got one for the dh and like it so will probably go for that. Thanks for your help gents.

Mintylad.

Comment

Working...
          X