12lb. Sea Trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12lb. Sea Trout

Hi there, I have just been informed of a 12lb. Sea Trout taken on the River Lune, this April. Has anyone got any further details.
    Thanks in anticipation, holly.

There's a possiablity because there's always the odd good fish that will run early in the season Holly.
    I'm going to have a go this week on the Ribble, I'm on holiday all week
    I know it's a bit early, but I'm itching to get out.
    I'll report back if there's owt about.

Comment

There were 2 fish taken from the beat at Newton about 3 weeks ago. The fish were taken in daylight by a chap fishing for brown trout. Both fish were clean and decent but were not 12lbs in weight. There has also been a fish of 10lbs from another beat. I have not heard of anything else. A 12lb fish would certainly raise eyebrows along the whole river. There are fish trickling through they system and fish have been reported at Sedbergh and Tebay albeit in small numbers. There is no substantial head of fish arrived yet at Arkholme Viaduct which is mid river and a fantastic holding pool. The river is desperately short of water. I don't wish to be the Prophet Of Doom but there have still been no salmon seen yet in the lower beats of the river. This doesn't bode well for this season and I sincerely hope that we don't get a repeat of last years disaster. I only took one salmon from the whole river and got the rest of mine from the Eden and Ribble.
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

12 lb. Sea Trout

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
        There were 2 fish taken from the beat at Newton about 3 weeks ago. The fish were taken in daylight by a chap fishing for brown trout. Both fish were clean and decent but were not 12lbs in weight. There has also been a fish of 10lbs from another beat. I have not heard of anything else. A 12lb fish would certainly raise eyebrows along the whole river. There are fish trickling through they system and fish have been reported at Sedbergh and Tebay albeit in small numbers. There is no substantial head of fish arrived yet at Arkholme Viaduct which is mid river and a fantastic holding pool. The river is desperately short of water. I don't wish to be the Prophet Of Doom but there have still been no salmon seen yet in the lower beats of the river. This doesn't bode well for this season and I sincerely hope that we don't get a repeat of last years disaster. I only took one salmon from the whole river and got the rest of mine from the Eden and Ribble.
        Many thanks for the rapid reply. I was informed about the fish above from a reliable source, even though he lives in South West Scotland; his informant is from the Lune area. I don't intend to fish before 28/05/2014, however, should the night temperatures be > 10 degrees (C), I may have a go!
        When you want to join me on the Whittington Beat, just put it on this forum.
        I usually fish Wednesday or Saturday, however, I am quite busy until 11/06/2014. [The same applies to Lancashire Fly Man, obviously on a different occasion]. Any preference for fly type for May? I usually use a tube fly > 25mm in length! (Silver Stoat's Tail) usually does the trick.
        Cheers, holly.

Comment

1" long Stoat Tail is as good as anything in my own book. 99% of my standard arsenal consists of stoats of some description or another. I also find an American Express works well in thin water or tied on as a dropper in a regular flow. There is a step by step for this pattern in the fly dressing section of the forum. It is a bloody killer of a pattern. I would love an evening at Whittington with you thanks very much for your very kind offer. The only condition is that you join me at Rigmaden any night of the week or Arkholme on a Sunday night or both if you like so that I may return your very kind favour.

If you are able to attend Fawcett's Open Day at Underley, Kirkby Lonsdale on Sunday May 4th then please come along to the LTS and Zpey stand and introduce yourself. I will be demonstrating their rods and it would be great to meet you.
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

How did you lads get onto the Lune?! I can fish a short stretch at Caton on PAAS but apart from that the river seems quite inaccessible for newcomers...

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
              How did you lads get onto the Lune?! I can fish a short stretch at Caton on PAAS but apart from that the river seems quite inaccessible for newcomers...

I know exactly what you mean. It took me quite a few years to get access to some water on the Lune. Following this things just kind of fell into place and more and more opened up to me. I think that you might find that due to the exceptionally poor season in 2013 quite a lot of clubs seem to have vacancies as memberships have fallen away. Kirkby Lonsdale had vacancies and it costs about £300.00 per year. I could ask if they still have vacancies if you like as I have a mate who stayed in the club when I ended my membership with them? There is a vacancy at Arkholme for a full rod which gives you 3 days fishing per week. It is stupidly expensive and not worth the cost of a full time rod. I have a Sunday rod on there which costs the neck end of £600.00. It might be worth putting your name on the waiting list for LADAA (Lancaster And District Anglers). I have had my name down for 8 years and have probably another 10 to wait. It only costs about £200.00 per year and they have some fantastic water. There are current vacancies at Tebay right at the top end of the river which only costs £110.00 per year. It is very much back end water for salmon. The sea trout runs are not half bad and last year was a bumper season for them. Just above the beat at Whittington there is a beat owned by A gentleman by the name of Roland Gaskell. He has current vacancies at £200.00 per year. There were vacancies at Marl Water at Gressingham. It is quite agricultural water but does get fish in some numbers. Not the best water in the world but it will take a fly. Costs about £250.00 per year.
              www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the info LG. I've considered one of the more pricey tickets but I just don't think I would use it enough to make it worthwhile (travelling from Manchester). I can fish the Wenning on my PAAS ticket so maybe just stick with that. There is another short stretch of the Lune that they acquired last season but it looks like the wrong bank from the google map images I've seen. May take a trip up there at the weekend and have a look.

If there was some prime sea trout holding water with pools that were suitable good night sport then I'd be tempted to put my hand in my pocket for a bit of exclusivity, but currently I don't know the river well enough to know which beats fit the description, if any!!!

Comment

Is it primarily salmon, sea trout or both that you are looking for?
                  www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Sea trout mostly. I have plenty of salmon water on the Welsh Dee and Ribble but not any with good sea trout night fishing water...

Comment

I live St. Helens and do most of my teaching and all of my fishing up there and further up there. The diesel costs bloody crucify me but frankly it is worth every litre at least it is for me. If you are ever up there and have an hour to burn then gimme a shout and I can show you Roland Gaskell's piece of water and the Marl Water at Gressingham. We can even take a bit of a cheeky peek at Kirkby Lonsdale. Subject of course to there still being vacancies. Failing this you are into bigger money beats where the fishing isn't necessarily always that much better. This can be particularly true if you are only going up there casually
                      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks mate, will PM you soon!

Comment

Lune Fishing

Originally posted by T7 View Post
                          Hi T7, there may be a chance to join Kirkby Lonsdale this season, if you know any member who can recommend you. The new secretary sent a letter to that effect. If you don't know anyone, then come and fish with me after June 10th at Whittington, I'm quite sure we can sort something out.
                          Regards, holly.

Comment

Fawcett's Open Day

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                            1" long Stoat Tail is as good as anything in my own book. 99% of my standard arsenal consists of stoats of some description or another. I also find an American Express works well in thin water or tied on as a dropper in a regular flow. There is a step by step for this pattern in the fly dressing section of the forum. It is a bloody killer of a pattern. I would love an evening at Whittington with you thanks very much for your very kind offer. The only condition is that you join me at Rigmaden any night of the week or Arkholme on a Sunday night or both if you like so that I may return your very kind favour.

If you are able to attend Fawcett's Open Day at Underley, Kirkby Lonsdale on Sunday May 4th then please come along to the LTS and Zpey stand and introduce yourself. I will be demonstrating their rods and it would be great to meet you.
                            I will not be able to attend the above, I'm extremely busy for the next 6 weeks, or so. I will be clear after 11/06/14. However, I intend to fish at Whittington on 28/05/2014 subject to water conditions and on Saturday 31/05/2014. Many thanks for the American Express dressing, very much appreciated.
                            Regards, holly.

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                              Hi T7, there may be a chance to join Kirkby Lonsdale this season, if you know any member who can recommend you. The new secretary sent a letter to that effect. If you don't know anyone, then come and fish with me after June 10th at Whittington, I'm quite sure we can sort something out.
                              Regards, holly.
                              Thanks very much for the offer!

I will look into KL, not sure if I know any members though {;

Comment

Working...
                              X