Fly line sanity check

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Dai

I fish Llangadog too.I'ver used a Sewincaster intermediate tip for the last 4 years.Great line. Nicely weighted so that you do not need to aerialise a lot of line before shooting and is also gentle enough in the tip so it doesn't hit the water like a sack of spuds.
    I'd recommend it.

Regards

Tim

Comment

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. Have you ever found you thought you needed a faster sink rate, maybe the medium tip?

Comment

I agree with the above sewincaster lines cannot fault them ,heavy head loads rod quickly and they roll out nicely not disturbing the water too much . I have tried many lines over the years but I find sewincaster my favourite on the river at night especially as they don't tangle easily and perform very well with the range of tips available ... Ratcliffe

Comment

Hi again Dai,

I have the di3 & di7 tips as well as the intermediate tip. I have to say that I don't use the di7 tip too often, but it's handy for fishing large lures in deep/fast stretches late on in the night when they 'have gone down'. I use the di3 tip more often, again in deeper/faster water.
          As an aside, I also use a full intermediate too - I did use a Cortland Blue, but am trialling a John Norris Pro 2 Big Fly intermediate this season. It seems to have a shorter head/more WF profile than a Cortland, but similar to the sewincaster, it settles nicely onto the water. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim. I've gone for the Inter tip and Di3 Sewincasters and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Comment

The sewincaster lines are fantastic - very much go-to lines for me nowadays. The Cortland ghost-tip is also a great line. However, I would recommend buying one line weight heavier than your rod rating, whereas the sewincaster is pretty much true to the rating.

TT.

Comment

Thanks TT. I bought the Sewincasters and hope to put them to the test on Friday.

Comment

Sewincasters are now my favourite lines! I found the excellent yesterday. Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Did you have a sniff of any early runners dai
                    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Unfortunately not. I fished deep and low until about midnight but I didn't get and offers. The only fish I saw were small browns. I put a post in the river reports section. With the rain setting in for a couple of days maybe there'll be a few early fish next.

Comment

Line for 9'6" #6 rod

Hi,

Could I get recommendations for a line for my 9' 6" #6 Greys Streamflex rod? I've got a DI-3 sink tip so am looking for either a floating or intermediate line to cover the upper layers. I use it for fishing for sea trout on smaller rivers, some of which have little-no room for a back cast so need something that will roll cast easily and with enough punch to get medium distance with little false casting. I'll be using the new line with short poly leaders to give me a bit more versatility on depth.
                        Also interested to know whether people recommend going a line rating heavier, ie a#7 weight, for night fishing.
                        It's a shame sewincaster lines are only available in an #8 otherwise I would have bought one of those.

Many thanks
                        SS

Comment

Rio Outbound Short is available in a 6 weight. I would strongly recommend that you do not go heavier than a 6 weight one of these on a 6 weight rod as they are 'heavy' for their stated rating. My own 7 weight is more like a 7-1/2 weight if that makes sense. They roll cast extremely well and the colour change from running line to head is extremely distinctive. You can make out the change in all but the absolute darkest of nights. Here is a LINK to the Guide Fly Fishing Webpage which tells you a little bit about them.
                          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Many thanks for the advice Laffingravy. Have now ordered an Outbound short floating in WF6.
                            Cheers
                            SS

Comment

Does anyone know where i can get a Sewincaster di3.
                              Managed to get a floater from e-bay and will probably pick up an intermediate aswell. Just cant seem to find a sink tip!
                              Have these been discontinued and if so, can someone recommend an alternative for an 8 weight rod!
                              Jamie.

Comment

Working...
                              X