Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sea trout on dry fly and if there’s a difference between brown trout and sea trout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea trout on dry fly and if there’s a difference between brown trout and sea trout?

Long title I know but after reading Steffans articles on the chance on certain rivers to target what seems to be feeding smaller sea trout on dry fly it struck me after seeing a pic on the Salmon forum of a large Usyk trout and some confusion about it being a Sewin or big brown?
    The article is on the Usyk report on salmon forum by Sewin guy who knows the Teifi lads?
    If I can explain the angler didn’t want to presume anything, albeit a witness presented a theory about it possibly being a four pound sea trout that after spawning had resumed feeding in the lower river
    Given the experienced angler was unsure my initial take was either a slob trout or a big Usk Brown as I thought I detected a few orange spots.

ok so now you get the picture it’s worth pointing out that one member did mention how they are classed as same species but not if the EA catch you taking a coloured sea trout by accident on the trout license

just my opinion, which is why I mentioned Steffs articles on those smaller fish that depending on what river will take surface flies but with the added observations that once past this size-the larger sea trout simply don’t exhibit this behaviour.

i could be wrong but I couldn’t see a scenario where these big multi spawning Sewin would ever stop and pause to revert back to their freshwater brown trout ways.

I have heard some local Teifi anglers mention sewin reverting back to brownies in the middle reaches of the river, at least for a while. There is a good head of small brownies and salmon parr/fry for them to feed on, so in theory it is possible to behave like slob trout.

Comment

Many thanks Stefan for your excellent Teifi video on the dry fly. Seems to me that the Teifi has long had a history of changing trends re the dominant fish species and behaviour? Records dating back to Victorian times show a Brown Trout and Salmon dominant river as oppose to the later sewin heavyweight river and now this relatively new thing of being such a consistent specimen brown trout river and the dry fly behaviour of its school sea trout is something I couldn’t begin to explain

Comment

Working...
      X