Where to fish...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to fish...

Many years ago I had a very well-worn copy of a book by that name, and as a youngster it was a sort of bible of dreams about the fishing I might one day do... And I have done some of it. I lived for a while in Cornwall and became hooked by sea trout. Even though life took me back east, I still remembered those nights on the river Lynher and the first peal (sorry, West Country fish) on a fly. Retirement and improved funding have led to me spending a week or two each summer in the West Country and Wales hoping to re-live those moments. I like night fishing and don't mind small rivers at all.

I have stayed in various places over the past few years with varying success - which is, of course, a part of the game and the attraction. But I am surprised at how difficult it is to rent a self-catering cottage (not being an hotel sort) with a bit of fishing for sea trout. Are they really so few and far between? Failing one of those, I'll look at finding association water with a cottage close by (family occasionally accompany me) and if any members have suggestions, I would appreciate them and would report back on how things turned out. I appreciate that the best places might remain secret but any help would be welcome!

Riparian

Dol Haidd Isaf is a good place with four self catering cottages and fishing on the premises

Comment

Thank you, watsonsfancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Riparian View Post
        Many years ago I had a very well-worn copy of a book by that name, and as a youngster it was a sort of bible of dreams about the fishing I might one day do... And I have done some of it. I lived for a while in Cornwall and became hooked by sea trout. Even though life took me back east, I still remembered those nights on the river Lynher and the first peal (sorry, West Country fish) on a fly. Retirement and improved funding have led to me spending a week or two each summer in the West Country and Wales hoping to re-live those moments. I like night fishing and don't mind small rivers at all.

I have stayed in various places over the past few years with varying success - which is, of course, a part of the game and the attraction. But I am surprised at how difficult it is to rent a self-catering cottage (not being an hotel sort) with a bit of fishing for sea trout. Are they really so few and far between? Failing one of those, I'll look at finding association water with a cottage close by (family occasionally accompany me) and if any members have suggestions, I would appreciate them and would report back on how things turned out. I appreciate that the best places might remain secret but any help would be welcome!

Riparian
        Hi Riparian,

if visiting the Teifi, I would recommend staying at the myriad of cottages available to rent along the river and then just getting a day or week ticket with the likes of Llandysul Angling Association, rather than looking to confine yourself to a cottage with private fishing. Whilst that does look attractive on the face of it, it is not all it is dressed up to be on the Teifi, because the likes of Llandysul Angling Association indefinitely have the cream of the fishing but also the fishing pressure is immensely low - hardly surprising when you have 30 miles or so to explore.

Abercothi on the Towy is another option, if you're looking for something quite exclusive.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

Thank you, TT - it looks as if that's the way to go. I'm not a very exclusive sort!

Comment

Thank you, TT - it looks as if that's the way to go. I'm not a very exclusive sort!
            No worries. Again, the Association water is very quiet nowadays - rarely will you be sharing a beat, let alone a pool. Great value for money, cream of the fishing and then flexibility in terms of where you stay - best of all worlds.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

Agree TT.I have fished regularly from below Lampeter bridge down to Cefn Bryn,quite a few miles.Not seen any other anglers,no footprints.Cream of the brown trout fishing.

Comment

Riparian
                Good advice from The Teifi Terrorist and I would just like to add another important point about Llandysul angling association that maybe the full members are to modest to mention re the whole feel of the club and the expert local anglers on hand to make you feel welcome and in my case put fish in my net.
                Having found a caravan site very near the Henllan beat we booked a week and I obtained a weekly ticket at the Porth hotel. Having caught a small Sewin almost straight away before dusk I was very happy. After my initial success however I then had four fruitless nights. On the following night having caught nothing I ended up talking to an angler who was catching some lovely fresh sea trout regular away. The man who let me stand right next to him and learn from his advice was a bloke called Dai whose father, like himself fished with Moc Morgan. Knowing the pool had a big pod of freshly arrived fish he kindly let me fish the pool on the following night, my last night.
                The advice he gave me was to go and get an intermediate line and try that? On my final night I landed three spanking 3lbers and lost as many and I’m positive my fly had been fishing to high and that the change of depth made all the difference? I can think of many who would keep their secrets to themselves but everyone I met was really helpful.

Comment

Having mentioned Llandysul Anglers in Wales, there are some beautiful rivers and accommodation in the West Country. You mentioned the Lhyner a river I’ve fished and love.we used to stay at a place called Notter Bridge when it took tourers. It no longer takes tourers but it does have beautiful chalet type accommodation and has fishing rights on some of the best lower pools on the Lyhner, some of it tidal. They used to have the pool below Notter bridge where I’ve seen hundreds of peal and some salmon all holding up, waiting for rain. Liskeard angling association own 30 miles of the Lyner, Fowey, Camel and west Looe rivers.
                  my favourite river down there is the Dart and I would get a weekly ticket from the aptly named sea trout inn who have accommodation and their own private fishing. Abbotsmead which is below Buckfast and next to the caravan site I stayed at, has the finest sea trout pool on the associations waters imo and fishes well in June with over 400 fish counted up from Totnes weirpool in May this year alone. TT is bang on re cottages with private fishing as sea trout don’t inhabit every pool and runs.
                  ive noticed this year particularly that cottages esp with fishing are all booked up so you may have to look about for a deal.

Comment

Riparian

When a landowner rents fishing to an Association, Club or group they often retain the option for themselves or their guests to fish the water.
                    It requires homework and Google Maps but opportunities are out there if you look.
                    I have fished in N Wales where the B&B farm I stayed had several miles I could fish for no additional charge, a similar place in the West Country made a daily fee of £30 but when I never found a fish I was not charged.

Good luck.

(sorry for the late reply)

Comment

Originally posted by Mick B View Post

When a landowner rents fishing to an Association, Club or group they often retain the option for themselves or their guests to fish the water.
                      It requires homework and Google Maps but opportunities are out there if you look.
                      I have fished in N Wales where the B&B farm I stayed had several miles I could fish for no additional charge, a similar place in the West Country made a daily fee of £30 but when I never found a fish I was not charged.

Good luck.

(sorry for the late reply)
                      Well here’s another late reply, I’ve taken fishing on Welsh rivers in the very same manner, where the caravan site owns their own stretch of river and let’s it out to the local Angling club and in return the club lets him have three season tickets for those staying on the caravan site. Wales has some really well run Angling clubs.
                      Last edited by andyantiquefly; 08-06-2021, 01:09.

Comment

Working...
                      X