Converting Rapala Treble hooks to single hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Rapala Treble hooks to single hooks

Does anyone know what size VMC in Line Barbless singles I should be using on a 7cm Rapala?

Thanks

FHS

Originally posted by Diawl Bach View Post
    Does anyone know what size VMC in Line Barbless singles I should be using on a 7cm Rapala?

Thanks

FHS
    Hi DB,

not in VMC, sorry. However, in a Partridge inline lure single I would personally got for a size 2.

Hope that helps,

TT.

Comment

Daiwa do inline single predator hooks.Seem OK.Used a size 1 on a small mepps this morning.No problems with hooking.Big advantage single hooks have over trebles is that
      you do not collect so much rubbish.
      Last edited by grey duster; 23-06-2020, 13:44.

Comment

Is there any reason why you can't just clip off two of the hooks from the treble hooks leaving a single?

Comment

Thanks both - will look at the Partridge

Nimrod - just don't fancy the look of a cut down treble

Comment

Dallas trebles are made out of toffee anyway ☺️

Comment

I would follow TT’s advice on a size 2 single from Diawa which I used to good effect last autumn. Prior to using a single I tried unsuccessfully with size 8 doubles and lost two nice fish in quick succession, one being a decent salmon. Taking TT’s advise I then tried a large single on the tail and had much more success. To be honest I did miss a few which I’m sure the standard twin treble would have stayed secure with, but the difference was all fish landed with a large single were quickly unhooked and released without damage, much more satisfying and better for the long term sustainability of the river.

Tight lines

TU

Comment

Converted them all as advised by TT and they are looking good. Just need a bit of water now

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Diawl Bach View Post
                  Converted them all as advised by TT and they are looking good. Just need a bit of water now

Thanks again
                  Glad it helped, DB. Looks like we're getting a decent drop now...

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

I spent a morning last weekend converting all our spinners, rapalas and flying Cs to Partridge in-line singles. They look perfect, and am really glad that I made the effort and expense to use new single hooks. Only downside was my thumb and index finger getting shredded when cutting the trebles off.

Comment

I have decided to return to the Tywi this year after an absence .....and assume that the trebles on my many Countdown Rapalas are now prohibited?

Is there some sort of a chart/guide which I can consult which clearly shows the suggested make & size of appropriate singles?

I am perplexed! Any advice would be helpful! ...

Comment

Originally posted by brigydon View Post
                        Is there some sort of a chart/guide which I can consult which clearly shows the suggested make & size of appropriate singles?
                        Not that I am aware of, sorry. However, from personal experience I would adopt the following:

These are the ones I have used - https://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk...st_salmon.html

For a 5cm Rapala use the size 4
                        7cm use a size 2
                        9cm use a size 1

Hope that helps.

TT.

Comment

That's extremely helpful Steffan ...very good of you to reply.

Comment

Once again great advise from TT to use a large single rather than a smaller double. From my experience once the fish is hooked with a single you stay connected where with a double you seem to lose fish which I suspect are just nipped rather than firmly hooked. It’s worth stating that no matter what method you use under the 2020 legislation banning trebles and multiple trebles you will inevitably fail to stay connected to fish even after a solid take, but on balance I would much prefer to lose a few fish along the way rather than cause the damage previously inflicted, often on juvenile fish, that was often the case with multiple treble Rapala set ups.

Comment

Working...
                            X