Switch line advice required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch line advice required

I have had an Oracle Switch rod (11ft 7/8 weight) for a few years. After researching and getting totally confused at times regarding a suitable line, I purchased a Barrio 7/8 switch line. I persevered with this line for a season but found it to heavy for the rod especially when overhead casting. Then I tried the Shakespeare 7/8 switch line which seemed to suit my style of casting and fishing. However I have had bad experiences with two of these lines - they both disintegrated, refunds obtained - and have lost all confidence in these lines.
    While looking for a replacement, I have come across the Snowbee switch line, which looks ideal. Does anyone have experience of using this line.

No idea on the Snowbee front, sorry M4M. Not sure who makes them for them nowadays either - they used to be Shakespeare.

I can highly recommend the following as an alternative though - https://www.ffcentre.com/product/syn...e-double-hand/

It is my go-to line for switch and double handers nowadays.

Tight lines.

TT.

Comment

Thanks TT. Will look into it.

Comment

Mepps4me
        Im new here but saw your thread, and I had the same probs with the 11' 8/9 in the end I contacted Shakespeare direct said the rod was rated 25-39g (385-460 grain). Not your model but worth asking them.
        Also used Barrio lines and found them excellent when matched.
        But on my 7/8 Orvis rod now use Rageheads which work really well and do not break the bank.
        As a note the salmon forum is full of queries like yours regarding Oracle's I'm sure you would find out good info there too.

Comment

Thanks for that carpe noctem. In the end I experimented by shortening the "overweight" Barrio line, it has not been used much this season but seems fine.

Comment

Mike Barrio suggests the 7/8 switch line for the 8/9 shaky oracle. I have the 7/8 oracle and use the 6/7 barrio switch on it. My suggestion is ignore aftm weights and go purely on grain/gram weights.

Comment

Working...
            X