New Fly Line for tight Roll casts at night time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fly Line for tight Roll casts at night time

Hi I am looking advice on buying a new Fly line for a 10ft 8 weight medium/fast action rod that will load the rod at close distance. I fish mostly at night for Sea trout and over head casting is not possible. Looking at some advice and experience that will ease my roll casting with a short head as i need to load the rod with maybe only 15 foot of line in front of me at times.
    I fish mostly with tube flies. I dont want a line that will fly out and ruin the presentation.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

the airflo 40+ would be a good candidate. However, it does fly out and can be slightly heavy presentation wise at times. As such, I would tell you to take a look at the Airflo Bomber line. It has been my go-to floater now at night for around three seasons and I love it:

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fl.../40/yes/119539

Since you're talking about 15ft of line out, I would 100% overload to a #9 line to make it work better on your setup.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Teifi-Terrorist. This is what I am looking for. I take it the Airflo lines have improved somewhat? Would an #8 in this line be an 8# weight or are they one size up like a Rio? If not I would then go for the 9#.

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by ColinI View Post
        Thanks for the reply Teifi-Terrorist. This is what I am looking for. I take it the Airflo lines have improved somewhat? Would an #8 in this line be an 8# weight or are they one size up like a Rio? If not I would then go for the 9#.

Colin
        Hi Colin,

they are all I use nowadays. Their floating lines used to be crap, but that was many, many years ago. I would not recommend anything that I would not happily use myself and I know this line in particular would suit your needs as I use it for very much the same reasons.

The line is a #8. However, given that you're covering such short distances and asking it to turn over tubes etc. over short distances then you're never going to get the full weight of the line (belly) to load the rod. However, by going up to a #9 you need that much less belly out to meet your #8, if that make sense.

I use the #8 on my #7 rod for the same reason and that works perfectly. Again, since you have a med/fast #8, I would not be shy about throwing a #9 through it. If you chose the 40+ then I would probably stick with a straight #8, as you will achieve the belly/weight over a much shorter distance with that line given the belly/head length.

Tight lines,

TT.

Comment

Thanks Teifi! I posted for someones real life experience and that is what I got. Going to purchse the Airflo Bomber #9 now :-) You can read all the hype from marketing but hard to pass on the job experience!

Colin

Comment

My pleasure. Let me know what you make of it. You will probably like the subtle colour change to highlight where the belly runs into the running line too, so that you know roughly what you're working with.

Tight lines.

TT.

Comment

Teifi. Fished with the bomber later end of this season. Excellent line for roll casting and loads my rod well as you recommeded. Cheers. Caught a 24 inch well conditioned trout on it few nights ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinI View Post
                Teifi. Fished with the bomber later end of this season. Excellent line for roll casting and loads my rod well as you recommeded. Cheers. Caught a 24 inch well conditioned trout on it few nights ago.
                Perfect and good to hear. Glad I could help.

TT.

Comment

Something else to consider is mike barrio lines. His SLK floater is designed primarily for roll casts and spey casts with a single hander but also overheads effoerlessly with one short false cast. And is only 30 quid delivered.

Comment

Working...
                  X