Fly box design

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly box design

Hi to everyone on the forum. My son is doing his A’ Level tech this year and has decided to design and make a fly box specifically for sea trout fishermen. He would like to ask for any specific features you would want in a fly box which would make life easiler for you when you go fishing at night. He is interested in your opinion on this and would take any feedback you are willing to give. We look forward to your responses. Thank you Trotters

Hi Trotters,

sounds great and good on him. Please wish him well from all on the forum.

These would be a few from me:

1. White background to allow the patterns to stand out. You can usually make out the outline of a pattern without turning on a torch with a white background.
    2. Slim; not too slim that it squeezes patterns, but then slim enough to slide into a coat or wader pocket.
    3. Section for singles/doubles then a flip side for tubes etc.
    4. clear top/lid, so that patterns can be seen before opening the box - this helps when/if multiple boxes are carried.
    5. How about a mini and sombre LED built into the side of the box, which illuminates through the box for fly selection? On/off switch essential, rather than turning on when opening.

There's a few to get him started anyway. I'm sure members will have more.

TT.

Comment

Was just thinking about a red LED feature, but got to TT’s #5 and now see that he beat me to it. A light would definitely make it stand out from the crowd of other boxes. I also like TT’s idea of having one side for singles and the other for tubes. I only pack one box in my coat when wading so that would allow all fly bases to be covered. My only original idea is to think carefully about the foam spacing (rows and slits) as most boxes are built for large numbers of much smaller flies. I seem to be able to fit more sea trout flies into boxes with sheet foam than rows etc.

Apologies if i am too late in replying to this thread!

Comment

Crush proof
        Proper pin hinge
        Secure closures
        Small ring for lanyard/security cord
        Isotope illuminated
        Magnetic strips Instead of foam.
        A small sub-section for wake/Jambo styles
        plus
        As previous posts - clear lid, double sided, white interior, red LED (if lightweight).

Comment

Hi thanks for all of the feedback you have given. Here are some of the pictures of the final product being used. If you have any comments or queries feel free to ask about it. Thanks Caleb
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi forum members, l am sure their must be few of you dipping into the forum. My son will be submitting his project tomorrow if any of you get 5 mins it would be much appreciated if he could have a few more responses on the fly box, the more feedback positive or negative the better. Thanks to the above who have already posted a comment. Caleb has also had talks with the editor of Trout and Salmon and hopefully will published in one of the future additions. Can’t say how proud I am of him. Cheers trotters.

Comment

Looks perfect for a night session. I generally go with more boxes than I need and the box your son has designed and made would cover all eventualities. If he ever decides to make them to sell? I'd definitely buy at least one.
              Andy

Comment

Certainly looks like a well designed and constructed fly box for the night time sea trout angler, plenty of capacity in one box for the angler who likes to travel light.
                would be interested if he decides to make them for sale.

Comment

Hi , the Box and also all suggestions seem great. Just one thought , perhaps made from a material that floats? Have a few trout fly boxes which float and have been fortunate on an occasion of dropping one in. Your design is great and I wish you all the best and also look forwards to buying one in the future.

Comment

The box it looks really good ,it is all you need for a night fishing and it can accommodate different flies sizes from small to a large tubes.
                    I think the design it is great.

Comment

A big Thankyou to everyone who posted their thoughts on my fly box design. The box and written project has been handed in to my teachers for evaluation. I will keep you posted on my results around August. I will be up on the Teifi with my Dad this summer to have a bash at the sewin. Good luck to everyone this year let’s hope we don’t have a heat wave like last summer. Thanks again Caleb ( son of trotters)

Comment

Looks fantastic. Well done Caleb.

Comment

Made it on to Trout and Salmon Caleb !! Well done. You will have to patent it next!

Comment

Looks awesome - well done Caleb! I’m having my first night session of the season tonight and wish I were taking one of these rather than my annoying foam box!

Comment

Working...
                            X