DVD, Book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD, Book

I wanting to give Sea Trout a serious go, all my fish have been caught by accident either fishing for Brownies/Grayling or Salmon Fishing. Both local rivers have been improving over the last few years.

Wanting to fish lighter as I doing away with my 14' rod and enjoy the sport and fight on a single hander or switch rod.

Is there a recommended book or DVD I should read or watch to get a better under standing

Originally posted by dalesman View Post
    I wanting to give Sea Trout a serious go, all my fish have been caught by accident either fishing for Brownies/Grayling or Salmon Fishing. Both local rivers have been improving over the last few years.

Wanting to fish lighter as I doing away with my 14' rod and enjoy the sport and fight on a single hander or switch rod.

Is there a recommended book or DVD I should read or watch to get a better under standing
    There are only a limited amount of books dedicated to sea trout, and only one DVD that I know of.

If you only buy one book, I’d go with the recent publication by Steffan Jones (see sticky on this forum, and available direct from the author]. This is a bang up-to-date look at sea trout fishing, and Steffan brings deep subject matter expertise of behaviour and techniques. Sea trout are decidedly less ‘enigmatic’ and more catchable after reading this book. His fly patterns are also very innovative, and effective (you can buy them from Fulling Mill if you don’t tie). After that, the only book I’d buy again if my book shelf burnt down is ‘Successful Sea Trout Angling: a practical guide’ by Moc Morgan and Graeme Harris (isbn 0713717610, and available at various prices second hand from Coch-y-bonddu books https://www.anglebooks.com/. Others will doubtless mention the Hugh Falkus book; definitely revolutionary for its time but also quite dogmatic in places.

DVD-wise, I only know of ‘The Enigmatic Sea Trout’ by Andy Nicholson. This was ok for its time, but we are well overdue something new (Steffan’s next project?).

HTH

Comment

I agree with Silver Stoat; two excellent books he recommends. I have others as well including Falkus but, for me, these two are the best I have read. Steffan’s book adds insights that you will not find elsewhere and, on top of that, is very readable.

Comment

Working...
      X