Reasonably priced fly rod.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasonably priced fly rod.

What is the best value fly rod for a novice that could handle 7-8 weight lines? Thanks.

There are a lot of very good rods for not much money these days. I have a lot of single handers and tried most of the best/most expensive.

For night sea trout fishing I don’t want a £500 rod to be left on the bank, clattering on gravel etc. So I use cheap rods that are easily replaced. Yes the more expensive rods will do a bit more and with more finesse, but not always!

I can recommend the Flextec rods for example. They are medium-tip action, which is useful at night where you typically don’t want ultra fast actions.

Shakespeare have some well regarded single handers, although I do find the Agility a bit heavy and cumbersome

I have an old Airflo power series which I love and is my go to rod. It’s light but powerful and suits me!

Bottom line - no need to be a snob about night fishing tackle (or any tackle!) try a few if you can and pick something you get on with

Comment

Since posting this I have purchased a Scierra Traxion 3 reel and a Daiwa Lochmor Z 9'6 7 weight. rod ,£40 each. Thought it was to good a deal to pass on,both mint condition. I hope they turn out to be a good buy. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have that rod myself! It is a nice rod and you definitely won’t go far wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
          I have that rod myself! It is a nice rod and you definitely won’t go far wrong with it.

There are strong rumours that when John Norris start to run low on stock they ring you and you supply them from your fishing cave. I only know about the rumours cos I started them
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

I went for a Greys GR30, cheap, well made and with an old fashioned slightly floppy action that allows you to feel the line at night without having to go up a weight.
            www.southerndeerservices.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X