Sea trout n strange noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea trout n strange noise

Ok we are all familiar with that crashing noise of a good sea trout,the kind of noise that makes you wonder if a cow has fallen in the river or a swan has fallen out of a tree(then you remember swans don't sit in trees).
    I'm talking about a different noise though and I wondered if anyone else has heard it,whilst fishing a good productive pool on the Lower Dart round Buckfast a few year ago I was wading on a shelf over deep water that put me very close to the fish without spooking em,I was so close the fish were jumping right beside me and the noise some of em made was quite amazing,it's so hard to explain but in the silence I could hear everything and some of em seemed to make a strange whirring noise as they left the water,I'm not sure if I've ever heard it again,was it the fins maybe,I've no idea but I know what I heard,anyone else heard this?

On the other forum there's a story about a guy catching a sea trout that appeared to glow like phosphorescence?

Yes, I used to hear it regularly the whirring when jumping and the " sound like a cow falling in ". Good old days! ( my hearings not so good these days)
    Never come across sewin with a " phosphorescence though, however, sometimes in spring you find phosphorescence in coastal waters. Whether it's a type of bloom I don't know.

Comment

Luminescence: Noctiluca
      Used to see this regularly fishing a gentle tide on warm nights for flatties in Morecambe Bay as a kid (Over 60 years ago ... probably killed by pollution nowadays).
      Tried it on a local biologist who informed me it was 'noctiluca' bacteria.... nowadays you can just use google :@

We used to note a greeny flash as the line was cast... and used to throw handfuls scattered sand/mud to get a real good glow as you disturb them.
      A real blast from the past~#
      Ian

Comment

Yes I have definitely heard the whirring sound of a sea trout as it leaps. The small to medium size fish seem to do it, when they leap right out of the water. Not sure what they doing to create it though.

I have heard it on my home river the Torridge in North Devon but also on the Teifi, where I also fish when I get the chance.

dB

Comment

I've heard and been splashed in the face as a big fish has landed right next to me

Alway thought it was the fins making the whirring noise

Comment

Amazing I'm so glad others have heard it as I have to tell you I had to think twice before posting this incase you all thought I was a nutcase lol.
            Not sure if I've heard it since but I remember thinking it was the most amazing noise kinda like a whirring sound or something being revved up,most odd,has TT heard it on his travels and is it something particular to sea trout as I can't say I've heard it with salmon?

Just another amazing truth about these fish we're all mad keen on.

Comment

The whirring is the tail moving side to side as I understand it. Not sure it it's unique to seatrout though

Comment

I've heard the whirring as well, mainly from smaller sea trout later in the season. I might have heard it more on the Fowey in Cornwall than the Welsh rivers.

Comment

Originally posted by silverstoat View Post
                  I've heard the whirring as well, mainly from smaller sea trout later in the season. I might have heard it more on the Fowey in Cornwall than the Welsh rivers.
                  interesting that cause I only heard in West Country,Abbotsmead on the Dart,just about one of the nicest sea trout pools I've seen,it was a real quiet night too,quite surreal noise.

Comment

yes it really is an amazing sound. I sometimes think I hear them leaving the water as they break the surface too before the whirring sound, as they're in the air and then the splash as gravity has taken hold. Love it!! Can't wait to hear that this season and get out for my first session....:>

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
                      yes it really is an amazing sound. I sometimes think I hear them leaving the water as they break the surface too before the whirring sound, as they're in the air and then the splash as gravity has taken hold. Love it!! Can't wait to hear that this season and get out for my first session....:>
                      Yes I agree and unless you've experienced it then you'd think we were making it up.
                      The late Moc Morgan on a angling programme said about the sewin that nobody knows they're there but those that angle for em.
                      I have a hard time convincing even some anglers that they're there as it's hard to understand how a low crystal clear river through the daytime can hold such fish,re the jumping I've heard all manner of theories such as sea lice ect,I just think they're a playful kind of creature and do it cause they can?

Comment

Yes Ive heard it as well.

Ive actually heard and seen Mullet do it in early mornings when out after Bass.

Its a useful indicator because it gives you a warning of the impending crash before they re-enter the water :>

I have access to some of the best Salmon fishing in England but its the few Sea Trout that run the river that always keep my full attention, I just love the species.
                        Dont ask me why, they just do {;

M

Comment

I agree, i think they're either doing for the sake of it / playful or other say sea lice. I also think that it could be a territorial act showing there presence to the other fish in the pool and claiming their lie. Certainly with the bigger fish you get a big splash that has often made me jump! Then you hear nothing, but with the smaller schoolies you will generally hear a few of the jumping and i think that they're competing for position in the pool.

Comment

Yep. heard it many times on the Teifi. Another phenomenon, is when a bat stops and hovers in front of your face when you're up to your armpits with a precarious foothold. Sea trout fishing at night, is a different world.

Comment

Working...
                            X