2016 to fish or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 to fish or not?

I last fished the Teifi with LAA in 2010. Having now returned to the area, I have been trying to find out how the Teifi has fished the last few seasons and whether it is worth getting a permit & license for 2016. I would be interested to hear of anyone's experiences and opinions. Most importantly, are there any fish to be caught! Many thanks

Hi ive joind only after 2010 but join every year, last season had a very good sea trout runs and summer grilse, but no autumn fish

Comment

What's the alternative?

If you're in doubt, leave it out squire; more fish for us maybe?
      I've not had the pleasure of fishing the upper half of the river for many years but can confirm that things are still hit and miss when it comes to catching on the lower TTA waters. It all comes down to being at the right place at the right time, as many folk on here will tell you, but if your not fishing, you can't catch.
      All I can tell you is that I drive 3 hours for a night on my favourite pool and then 3 hours back to work, (no chainsaw work after that though). I envy every one of you that live so close and highly recommend that you do invest in the appropriate licence/membership; it's cheaper than golf or the gym and keeps you just as fit and healthy. Besides, imagine missing out on what may be the season of the century???? :>
      Tight lines with whatever you chose.

Comment

Depends what you fish for,if you're a salmon angler then you may struggle but at least with living near you can choose when to fish.
        Wales as a whole is still the no 1 destination for Sea Trout or sewin as they're known,these fish are legendary as far as I'm concerned and no they're not easy but that's why we all fish for them,took me a full week to find the right pool,fish and right tactics and then I did well with three pristine sewin around the three pound mark,this was in June and they're were some very big fish in the Teifi.

Lastly the trout fishing looked good with some of the best fly water I seen.

Comment

Thanks for your replies which are helpful. Wasn't able to fish last season but was concerned at the seeming lack of activity around the LAA beats through the season. We all know about the declining stocks of salmon with all the different theories of why, looks like there has been a decline in anglers too!
          I haven't been able to access any catch reports online, only one on TTA's site for the 4 years up to 2013 hence my query here.

Comment

Originally posted by chocco View Post
            Thanks for your replies which are helpful. Wasn't able to fish last season but was concerned at the seeming lack of activity around the LAA beats through the season. We all know about the declining stocks of salmon with all the different theories of why, looks like there has been a decline in anglers too!
            Sadly Chocco nothing will reverse that trend other than fish numbers. The fishing pressure has reduced in direct line with the fish runs/numbers over the years and the river is not a patch of what it was even some 8-10 years ago.

The salmon runs have depleted to such a level that I would not really pin much hope on them. The sea trout numbers have decreased to a point where in 2014 saw the lowest catch return level since records began. However, they are still there to be caught and are certainly still worth targeting.

The trout fishing is picking up slightly and some great hatches are now starting to be seen once more. Long may that trend continue. There is also a decent population of grayling to be targeted nowadays, and they seem to be doing well as the food levels increase.

Beyond all that, the Teifi is one of the nicest rivers you could ever hope to fish and it's always a joy to be on the river whether you're catching or not.

Tight lines and hope to see you on the river this season,

TT.

Comment

Depends on what you want Chocco.
              I much prefer a couple of miles of wild river to myself.Could not care less if i catch nothing.
              There is always that beautiful fishery on the way to Aberaeron with blue dyed water and manicured lawns.

Comment

Trout fishing

I must agree with all of the above, especially the Trout fishing. This must be the most under-rated aspect of the Teifi. I believe it has a greater head of fish and bigger WBT than anything on the Welsh Borders, Monnow/Usk etc. and the lack of Angler evidence could be due more to the care with which people approach the water in a predominantly 'fly' area.
                Oops, hope I haven't upset anyone?
                Anyway, get out there and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Last June I got talking to three French anglers who were there for the week after the brown trout,they had some lovely gear,silk lines ect.

By the way it's true,you really do have a few mile to yourself on the middle Teifi.

Comment

TT is being a little pessimistic about the seatrout picture, chocco. According to the EA catch returns, 2013 was a bad year (1493 fish caught) but 2014 was better: 2098 fish caught, the fourth best year of the last 10. So, just possibly, the Teifi is on the mend.

Paul

Comment

I quite regularly park at Felinfach,walk down to Cefn Bryn,and if the legs hold out,fish up to Lampeter bridge.Never see anyone apart from the odd sight of Cap.That has got to be 2 miles.Love it:>

Comment

Originally posted by phl View Post
                        TT is being a little pessimistic about the seatrout picture, chocco. According to the EA catch returns, 2013 was a bad year (1493 fish caught) but 2014 was better: 2098 fish caught, the fourth best year of the last 10. So, just possibly, the Teifi is on the mend.

Paul
                        Really Paul? Was 2013 not the worst return since records began, which was my statement? Furthermore, have you viewed the trend over the last 10 years? I would certainly recommend doing so if you think 2,098 is a positive figure...

TT.

Comment

I do not live in South Wales but have fished down there on occasion. I also did some work with a mate who was helping me through my first assessment. Speaking as an outside observer your rivers are visually fairly outstanding. I am actually qualified to make this statement because I have access to some of the finest water in England. With all due respect I do not understand where the original posters question is coming from. I read this as do I fish or not fish? if so well of course you do. Personally I would cast a fly in an upturned bin lid if I had no other choice. As for returns? I am sorry but runs are depleting throughout the whole of Britain. The EA and NRW have a spotlight shone upon them with anglers asking some fairly stark questions such as 'What are you doing and planning to do about it?' I don't like it much but they are and will do absolutely nothing. My suggestion is go out and fish while at least for now there is still something left to fish for.
                          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                            I do not live in South Wales but have fished down there on occasion. I also did some work with a mate who was helping me through my first assessment. Speaking as an outside observer your rivers are visually fairly outstanding. I am actually qualified to make this statement because I have access to some of the finest water in England. With all due respect I do not understand where the original posters question is coming from. I read this as do I fish or not fish? if so well of course you do. Personally I would cast a fly in an upturned bin lid if I had no other choice. As for returns? I am sorry but runs are depleting throughout the whole of Britain. The EA and NRW have a spotlight shone upon them with anglers asking some fairly stark questions such as 'What are you doing and planning to do about it?' I don't like it much but they are and will do absolutely nothing. My suggestion is go out and fish while at least for now there is still something left to fish for.
                            Although I agree with you LG, we need to be more responsible with the catch return ratio, let's set an example to both the Environment Agency and Riparian owners. I know your catch return is the best, however, I don't see anything wrong with the occasional fish for the table!
                            Regards, holly.

Comment

People seem to get so offended nowadays,it's like they're looking for something to be offended by,say if you posted a pic of a few sea trout,I've seen folk get lambasted for it when in reality that will be there only fish for the season.

I'd like to think the majority of us think that way re fish for the table,I understand the need for restraint and I thought the 21 inch rule was perfect,it's not rod n line fishermen doing the damage as there were probably more anglers in the past all taking fish to eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X