Trailing Hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing Hooks

I am going to try and tie up some surface lures with trailing hooks, what makes do you use and where do you get them from?

I completed a search and found a TT response;

The model number is: ST-36BC. I would use these primarily in size 14's for the stingers, but also up to a size 12 for some of the larger/longer flies, which, at times, may be touching 4 inches long when wet.

But l would like to know what other options exist.

Thanks

Chris

Kamasan b990 size 10 to 14 depending on size of lure to be tied. Strong and very dependable.

Comment

Kamasan B990 is a great hook but I find them a little bit heavy gauge. Partridge X1 are a lot finer wired but do not compromise on strength. I also rate Owner Stingers but if your casts strike rocks in the dark the points tend to shatter as they are extremely hard but this makes them brittle to rock impact.
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

I use daiichi ones. Intruder hooks. Nice shape, flipping sharp. Funkyflytying sells them!!
        Last edited by zimtrout; 01-09-2015, 23:27.

Comment

I like the heavier guage lg due to the size of the sewin here in wales
          Had too many x1bl/br snap and they have a tendancy of rusting out after a season, lost far too many large fish on them to be dependable

Comment

Never had an X1 break on me but I must confess that they do corrode far more quickly than the B990's.
            www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

The price that the average joe pays for them, the quality could be a tad better considering what else is available.

Comment

I have got literally thousands of them. The only issue I have with them is the fact that they corrode quite quickly. You can mitigate against this however by allowing your flies to dry in the open air when they are wet and not sticking them in a fly box. As for quality I have never had them break with a fish on. I do like the fact that they are quite a fine gauge of wire. The B990's by comparison are like meat hooks and very heavy.
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

To be honest guys I have almost totally switched to singles at the back end now and have seen no difference in the landing rate - or perhaps more importantly the loss rate...

An inverted single hook. Assembled as follows:

http://www.sea-trout.co.uk/showthread.php?t=639

I have been using really short shank, wide gape carp hooks for this and they have been perfect. Something like the owner c-5, Nash Fang Uni.

These are also great for the larger sizes and cheap as...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARP-HOOKS...item1c58c1c198

TT.

Comment

Working...
                  X