No announcement yet.

I don't want a coffee grinder !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should pick up a 2500C, which is not the original 2500 Fred is talking about, but is like a mini 5000c. Ive got one & it will comfotably cast a 7 gram Droppen [remember those] or Toby if you use a light line. Probably still be quite pricey though.

Out of interest, anyone remember the old 2100 Record reel made by ABU, they used to make an aftermarket magnesium spool for these for competition casting - I bet you dried that one out a long ,loooong way from the fire !

I still have my first, red, 6000 which was bought, secondhand, as a 13th birthday present for me, over 35years ago, It has been hammered over the years but still works! I wonder if the current far eastern sourced reels will do as well?

I'm also a big fan of the early Swedish made Cardinal fixed spool reels, & still use some of these also. Yes, ABU certainly made a quality product, I wish they were still available to this spec, although, to be fair, some of the top end Ambassadeurs still seem pretty good.

I never tried one of their triangular shaped 'Delta' fly reels though, anyone still use one of these?

Regards, Tyke.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyke View Post
      I think you should pick up a 2500C, which is not the original 2500 Fred is talking about, but is like a mini 5000c. Ive got one & it will comfotably cast a 7 gram Droppen [remember those] or Toby if you use a light line. Probably still be quite pricey though.

I never tried one of their triangular shaped 'Delta' fly reels though, anyone still use one of these?

Regards, Tyke.
      Think your right on the 'which reel' in PP 1 above. Have cast a rod with the Delta reel (friends) and it feels very odd in the hand.:?

Comment

Well,

This is what I bought, its an Abu Promax, may not be up to the standard of the old Ambassadeurs, but it can cast small lures a hell of a distance and it was less than £33 |\

I'm quite impressed with this little one.

Lets see how long it lasts{;

Bill

Comment

Looks the biz, nice one Bill. Hope you get to try it out on something long and silver soon - no, not a Toby! :@

TT.

Comment

Hi Steff,

In fairness, its very well made, no plastic gears, these baitcasters are small and my hands are err well large, but I coped with it and really enjoyed seeing how far I could cast a flying C down the Teifi :>

Big house move this weekend, out of the town and into the rural pastures, within walking distance of the lovely little Gwendraeth Fach, need to pay a farmer a visit then watch out you little brownies :>

Bill

Comment

Bill, you'll find that 99.999% of all bait casting reels are actually very well made; not like 'back in the good old days.' The major difference in "price" is the number of/type of bearings used. The more, the 'smoother' the line will come off the reel.

That said, I still can't figure out (short of you're a tackle tart with more money than brains) why anyone would consider paying upwards of $500 USD for any of this type of reel.

Comment

Totally agree Fred,

This little one in your land must be only about $50.

Its got 8 bearings, magnetic brake, anti reverse and a paddle switch.

What more do you need (or want ~:. )

Bill (not a tackle tart )

Comment

Whoa Big Fella.

Originally posted by springwell View Post
                  Totally agree Fred,

This little one in your land must be only about $50.

Its got 8 bearings, magnetic brake, anti reverse and a paddle switch.

What more do you need (or want ~:. )

Bill (not a tackle tart )
                  (:,

For that kind of 'moola,' that's a heck of a good deal for a "bait caster."

Comment

Working...
                  X