Argentina/Chile trip 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
    The damage they cause is extensive, and rarely do they concentrate on one tree i.e. when one has fallen they will move on to the next. They are being hunted, but the levels do remain high. They're bloody big too, much bigger than what I expected.

I have seen them on TDF (Chilean side, as the Argentinean side of the Grande has little/no trees), but not on the mainland.

Best wishes,

TT.

TDF beaver info:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4490517.stm

Surprised you were scared of beaver 'TT' ~# - only about 60 lb

Ushuaïa - the world's southernmost city

Also demonstrating how poor my camera is compared to TT's ~#

Ella

Comment

TT said

"I did manage to visit some of the Welsh areas, which was totally surreal. I was there on St.David’s day and got invited to a party that evening where a large group of locals had gathered at the ‘Welsh School of the Andes’. It was amazing to be able to speak Welsh so far from home, and great to see the language still strong in the area. I even had a Welsh speaking fishing guide one day!"

This reminds me of Jaws..."just when you thought it was safe to go out"... there's a Yakki waffling on about how many English owned homes he burnt down, before doing a runner half way round the world.

Can we keep this to the S4C thread please?

W&S

Comment

lol :> yes, sorry W&S, my apologies, it won't happen again sir.

Ella; the first time I flew to the area was into Ushuaia, and I found it to be a lovely town, certainly much nice than the town of Rio Grande......

When were you there? did you like the town? were you there for the fishing? or did you do some polar expedition?

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
          ...the first time I flew to the area was into Ushuaia, and I found it to be a lovely town,.....
          (:,

I've been there three times in all; but only stayed there once, which was last year.
          The only place in Patagonia where they serve sea food instead of steak. The 'king crab' being delicious.

The other two occassions I couldn't even get off the plane. I'll explain: certain flights from Rio Gallegos to Buenos Aires go via Ushuaia. I think Austral, whilst Aerolineas doesn't anymore.
          I met John Gierach ("Trout Bum" author) on that plane - he was going to Kau Taupen; a bit of a snob in real life, not at all like his books.

El Calafate is the nicest Patagonian town; high in the mountains, with great restaurants & even an Irish pub where I celebrated St.Patrick's Day. It's on the shores of Lago Argentino; which is also patrolled by their navy.

Guanaco

A nice fat rainbow

Gobernador Gregores is the worst Patagonian town I've ever visited; the poverty unbelievable, but good fishing at "Jurassic Lake" which is nearby.
          I'll dig out the photos sometime.

We went back a different way.

Ella

Comment

Working...
          X