Moc's Cert SBS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moc's Cert SBS

I utilsie Sheer 14/0 thread for pretty much everything I tie including this pattern. I demonstrate it with a split thread dubbing technique. If you find that you are struggling to get the thread to split evenly or it is breaking as it is quite thin then any multi stranded thread will suffice. UTC70 for example will pretty much split just using your fingers and without a dubbing needle.

Tying Materials

Hook: Ken Sawada Fiesta size 6
    Thread: This is demonstrated with Sheer 14/0 black but any black multi strand thread will do
    Rear body and rib: Medium silver tinsel
    Front body: Black dyed seals fur in split thread dub
    Hackle: Black dyed hen saddle. I use Aubergine oos i really like it.
    Wing: Black dyed fox squirrel overlaid with 5 strands of peacock sword
    Cheeks:Jungle cock

Tying Method

Step 1: Secure the hook in the vice with the point protruding.

Step 2: Catch in black thread a short distance behind the eye and wind back.

Step 3: Trim the end of a length of medium silver tinsel to a point. Bind down and wind back to the mid point of the hook.

Step 4: Split your thread by allowing your bobin holder to dangle. It will start to spin. Spin the holder in its natural direction of travel until it stops. Your thread should feel flat between your fingers. Holding the thread over your finger split it with your thumb or use a dubbing needle. Insert a bunch of black dyed seals fur and spin the holder in the opposite direction trapping the seals fur as you spin.

Step 5: Wind the seals fur up to behind the eye of the hook.

Step 6: Wind the tinsel to the rear of the hook in touching turns and back to your starting point to form a sliver rear body. As you reach the seals fur continue winding in open turns to form a rib.

Step 7: Using a dubbing brush or piece of velcro tease out some of the seals fur.

Step 8: Catch in a saddle hackle by the tip and bind.

Step 9: Double and wind the hackle.

Step 10: Tie in a bunch of black dyed fox squirrel tail fibres low over the back of the hook shank.

Step 11: Tie in 5 or 6 peacock sword fibres over the fox squirrel.

Step 12: Tie in a small pair of jungle cock nails as cheeks.

Step 13: Whip finish and varnish to complete.

www.silversalmon.co.uk
Working...
X