Are we close to the end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we close to the end

I know we have had a dry summer,but for the last 10 years my catch return has gone down dramatically.I live very close to the Teifi,so fish quite regularly.This year I have caught 1 sewin and 1 salmon,on the same day.20 or 30 years ago I used to fish the Clwyd in N.Wales,only at weekends, and used to catch 50 plus sewin and a few salmon .
    Nobody posts on this forum anymore,presumably they are not catching anything.
    NRW do nothing.
    I think the end of migratory fish in Wales is very close.

Well GD you are right that each year the fish seem to be fewer and further between, however, if fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time there is still good sport to be had. Having the time to put in is the problem. Some rivers still seem to have decent runs of fish, however, the Teifi and Tywi have the added 'menace ' of coracle nets which devastate the fish particularly in times of low water. Throw the agricultural pollution into the pot, topped off with NRW indolence and we have a recipe for disaster. Stick at it though as there's always the chance of a 'red letter day' only they are less frequent these days.
    Apparently the Dyfi has had good runs of fish this year.

Comment

I have a house less than a mile from the banks of the Dwyfor & this has been my worst season ever. Unusually for a spate river the Dwyfor fishes okay in times of drought as the tidal water provides good access & the fish come & go as the tide floods & ebbs. Although I have not fished a lot my return on effort has been abysmal, even walking the lower beats there has been no fish in the pools (small river means if fish are there you can see them).
      Very sad to think that I might be one of the last generation of anglers to fish for Sea Trout at night, the nights I have been I have not seen another angler & passing the car parks during the day they have been devoid of vehicles.
      I think GD you may be right.

Comment

Thanks for your responses.
        I have not seen another angler on the Teifi this year.Clubs,hotels and the economy of Wales must be suffering.Nice to hear the Dyfi has had a decent run of fish.
        I wrote to NRW asking about the slurry incidents,at Tregaron and down the Dulais through Lampeter.2 years later they are still investigating the Tregaron explosion??and they sent me a copy of a caution letter they have sent to the people who were responsible for the Dulais incident.More or less said "be good boys and do not do it again".Pathetic.I presume both slurry plants are up and running again.

Comment

We "caught" a gang of 3 poachers on the Dwyfor 3 years ago, gave names, address, car registration numbers, phone images of them with the fish. Despite numerous letters/emails requesting to know what was done about it the stock reply is "we cannot comment on an ongoing investigation".
          I think anglers in Wales have to face the fact that NRW is not fit for purpose.

Comment

Typical of NRW.I am trying to think of something positive they have done to enhance fishing in Wales.
            There are no baillifs on the rivers.They were supposed to be bringing in a patrol boat to curb poaching(heard nothing more of that).They are still debating Byelaws on migratory fish management.Cypermethrin was banned in sheep dip in 2012.NRW kept using it in their forestries( in spawning areas) until last year.As has been said before,if birds were dropping out of the sky, it would a different story.Not sure,but did they appoint a new CEO who jacked it in after 3 months.
            Not fit for purpose.

Comment

Unfortunately we anglers seem to be little more than a nuisance for NRW. They are more interested in making money from selling off cut price forestry areas, milking the public purse through wind farms on their land and the latest scam of micro turbines. They are not fit for purpose.

Comment

I had forgotten about the woodland issue.NRW complain about reduced funding,but not once,but twice sold woodland without going to tender.

Comment

this has been my worst year ever without a single take on the dyfi ,welsh dee ,Clwyd, and other welsh rivers I know certain people who are not buying the game licience because we have to put the salmon and seatrout back , that's a laff you have got to catch them first I have fished for seatrout since I was 18, im 66 now don't think I will waste another year of my time after them unless thing improve and I cant see that with the lack of action from the e.a and the likes

Comment

Working...
                  X