Sea Trout in broad daylight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Trout in broad daylight

I raised this question on FFF a little while ago and thought I would get your opinion. I have a window of a week on the Teifi TTA waters in early June. I shall be having a crack at both the sea trout and salmon but I really want to target the sea trout. Here comes the snag..........It is unlikely that I will be able to fish at night for them. Am I wasting my time? Should I stick to Salmon? Should I stay in the pub...............any advice would be most welcome......................birdsnest

Birds nest I cant speak regards the teifi but given the crrect conditions sea trout can be taken in fast streamy water at the head of pool. I use small doubles for this 12's, 14's and sometimes 16's. A bit of flash a wisp of a wing and also perhaps just a simple spider. Early morn and late eve are normally the best bet. look at my flies for the season thread mate and youll get the idea
    CHEERS
    JOHN

My Fishing show (Im on the camera)
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...t00769-1-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks John.......yup I've got a range of those. I got something right then..............birdsnest

Comment

Hi Birdsnest and welcome to this forum.

As a matter of interest why will you not be fishing for sewin during the night{;

Teifi-rod

Comment

Because I will be elsewhere....................birdsnest

Comment

It can be done

Heres a wee sea trout I caught yesterday on a size 14 olive emerger.

CHEERS
            JOHN

Comment

Nice one John.............so it really can be done then. I can't wait to have a bash.................birdsnest

Comment

Ive rattled some of these up for a go at Sea trout in day light, thats 1p in the middle. I used Savilles hard nylon tubing size 3 and veniards small cones.

CHEERS
                JOHN

Comment

What size iron would you fish those with, single, double, treble ?.........I've got a couple of wee doubles very similar................birdsnest

Comment

I was thinking about a size 14 treble.
                    CHEERS
                    JOHN

Comment

Originally posted by birdsnest View Post
                      I raised this question on FFF a little while ago and thought I would get your opinion. I have a window of a week on the Teifi TTA waters in early June. I shall be having a crack at both the sea trout and salmon but I really want to target the sea trout. Here comes the snag..........It is unlikely that I will be able to fish at night for them. Am I wasting my time? Should I stick to Salmon? Should I stay in the pub...............any advice would be most welcome......................birdsnest
                      It will be nice to have you down birdsnest! |\ nice one.

Early June; great time. Please bring the weather with you!!!

Fishing; you certainly won't be wasting your time. Indeed, the daytime fishing may be better than the night-time, depending on water. If you've got a coloured river then the night fishing should be avoided, but the daytime fishing can be superb, especially on a falling/clearing spate.

If, however, the water is low and clear, which I really hope it will be at that time of the year, then to be honest birdsnest the daytime fishing can be really tough - but certainly not impossible. However, the advice below from XL50 is spot on. Fishing at dusk can be fantastic, as can first light, especially with the smaller offerings. I wouldn't go spoiling the main tail of a good holding pool if there's someone going to fish it that night, but should you be around as it is getting dark then you should stand a good chance in such a place too. Wouldn't bother for the salmon on the tails, but certainly the more turbulent runs and heads of the pools.

Originally posted by XL50 View Post
                      Birds nest I cant speak regards the teifi but given the crrect conditions sea trout can be taken in fast streamy water at the head of pool. I use small doubles for this 12's, 14's and sometimes 16's. A bit of flash a wisp of a wing and also perhaps just a simple spider. Early morn and late eve are normally the best bet. look at my flies for the season thread mate and youll get the idea
                      Spot on.

Heres a wee sea trout I caught yesterday on a size 14 olive emerger.

Hope you don't mind XL50, but that looks like a cracking brownie, not a sea-trout. Sorry.

Ive rattled some of these up for a go at Sea trout in day light, thats 1p in the middle. I used Savilles hard nylon tubing size 3 and veniards small cones.

They'll do some damage! |\

Any other questions just give us a reply birdsnest. There are a lot of Teifi anglers on here.

TT.

Comment

TT I tought at 1st it was a brown as thats what I was after. But the trout from the river in question have yellow bellies and big red spots. 3 local lads all said sea trout (well coloured) It acted like a sea trout when hooked, and when it turned in the water it flashed silver. When I netted it it looked like a brown though I checked to see if it was a Kelt but no signs. It was 17" and around a 1 1/2lb and put a great bend into the 4 weight.
                        CHEERS
                        JOHN

Comment

It was 17" and around a 1 1/2lb and put a great bend into the 4 weight.
                          I bet it did!!! :> Nice one. Wish we had some sport like that on my home river.

Either way XL50, it's a cracker. Well done you.

TT.

Comment

Sorry to go of topic

Have a look at the browns on the site mate

www.riverannan.co.uk/
                            CHEERS
                            JOHN

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                              I bet it did!!! :> Nice one. Wish we had some sport like that on my home river.

Either way XL50, it's a cracker. Well done you.

TT.
                              Cheers mate
                              CHEERS
                              JOHN

Comment

Working...
                              X