worms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worms

For trout and sewin is a worm a worm ? I have an allotment and have some nice big worms in my compost are they the boys for the job ?

I may be wrong but I think they might use smaller,posher worms for sewin as appose to big lob worms for salmon.

Comment

dam I new there was a bit more too it than digging up any old worms

Comment

Can't beat the fly for Sewin,I've had lots of chances to fish worm on the Dwyfor in spate but I've often outdone the worm crew with spinner and the fly,something like a big Peter Ross waddington,many a time I've had instant take on it in water deemed to High by most,takes oftem come in different places,not unlike the places you'd try a worm.

Anyway re worms I'm sure whatever you've got will be ok,anything out of a compost heap tends to be good quality,think I'd go for the circle hooks as well to save em swallowing the worm and strike instead of paying out line,I'll be honest here I'm not skillful enough to fish the worm properly.

Comment

Nothing wrong with using the worm.....properly. Different sizes are preferred depending on the water levels. Sometimes you have to go down to size 18 hooks and worms of less than 25mm. Sometimes they won't look at anything less than a 'baby snake'. Worm can be every bit, or even more, skilful than fly....when used properly.

Comment

so plain old garden worm worth a shot ?

Comment

Yip! The plain old garden worms fish well. Best kept a few days to toughen up first though. Tight lines!

Comment

Collect some moss from your lawn (old fashioned rake does the trick), soak it in rainwater & pop your worms in. Left in this & turned every few days & they will toughen up nicely. Never been a fan of lob worms myself as they do not have the wriggle factor of brandlings/dendrobenas. Kept like this & fed on worm good you can buy online from the commercial breeders they will last for several months.

Comment

Blue headed worms are best but
                  not always easy to find, garden lobs are a very poor second choice.Brandlings are ok and easily bought but not as good as the blue heads

Comment

Thanks for the advice its appreciated. Bought me ticket this morning and got me hooks size 8 and 4 they look bloody tiny after using 6/0 for sea fishing and whole clams.
                    Got some bouncing betties as well.
                    Looking forward to getting out but this worm lark seems to have different opinions. I will have a root around the allotment tomorrow and see what I can find

Comment

Working...
                    X