New fly rod recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New fly rod recommendation

Unfortunately, after some 10 years of service, the handle on my sharpes Gordon is on the way out. It's been a lovely easy going rod. As I haven't been looking for a new rod for so long, I have no idea what my options are. I would welcome any suggestion for a new 10ft 7 weight for the Towy. Cheers and merry Christmas.

Hi SB,

welcome to the forum |\

Rods are a very personal thing and the advice you will always see on here when members ask such questions is to always 'try before you buy' whenever possible. What works for one may not work for another.

However, I can honestly say that the finest sea trout rod I have used in many, many years is the following in a 10ft #7:

https://www.looptackle.com/products/...t-medium-fast/

To me, it is the perfect sea trout rod for a river the size of the Teifi or Towy. Not too fast action, yet plenty of power in the bottom end. The slightly open/forgiving action opens up loops so that you tend to get less tangles as a result but also it makes for a great roll casting action where the line weight can load deeper into the blank. The #7 still has more than enough power to turn over large flies with ease; I do tend to fish #8 lines through it. No expert, but these are my findings and why I would recommend this rod beyond all others at the moment.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sewinboy View Post
      Unfortunately, after some 10 years of service, the handle on my sharpes Gordon is on the way out. It's been a lovely easy going rod. As I haven't been looking for a new rod for so long, I have no idea what my options are. I would welcome any suggestion for a new 10ft 7 weight for the Towy. Cheers and merry Christmas.
      Hi Sewinboy, Why dont you replace the handle?

Plenty of preformed handles of all shapes at Hopkins and Holloway(guides & blanks), easy to do and will save you a few hundred quid.

However if you are set on a new rod I would also recommend you try before you buy. The Loop is a nice rod so is the Enigma 10' 7# but my own personal favourite is the Harrison Lorhic 10' 7#.

Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by teififlies View Post
        Enigma 10' 7#
        Cracking rod, but no longer available, sadly ::

They were sold off on a fantastic deal too.

TT.

Comment

Ive tried a fair number but the best Ive found is the Enigma Johnathan Jones Sea Trout Special.
          Took me a while to find one but it was worth the wait.

My back-up rod is a 10ft Harrison but it doesnt handle the range of lines the JJ does.

Comment

I snapped my Enigma, I shed tears all the way home in the car lol

I tend to just go t cheap for sea trout fishing in the night. My go to rod now for night fishing for sea trout is an old Airflo Mtec S3.

Bought it years ago and love it, I snapped my spare rod too last season, I put three tubes in the same tree trying to get under it, had a bit of a tantrum and it unded up in 4 bits not three. :}

I'm in the market for a new rod, it'll be a cheap one again.

Those loop rods are the business though.

Comment

Here you go.
              They will supply you with any number of rods, spare sections, et al, as long as you order them all at the same time. Shipping is cheap also

http://www.flyfishingsupplier.com/in...n-toray-carbon

Comment

John Norris are doing their own 10ft 7# At the moment it is on offer for £75.00 with a free line. They are absolutely fantastic rods for any price but at seventy five quid they are a steal. I have used them for both tuition and for teaching and cannot fault them. Here is a LINK

If you want a line to go with it try a 7# Barrio SLX for about £35.00 You have a complete set up for a little over a hundred quid. The Barrio is an excellent line but rarely live longer than 2 seasons
                Last edited by laffingravy; 20-04-2017, 15:38.
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                  John Norris are doing their own 10ft 7# At the moment it is on offer for £75.00 with a free line. They are absolutely fantastic rods for any price but at seventy five quid they are a steal. I have used them for both tuition and for teaching and cannot fault them. Here is a LINK

If you want a line to go with it try a 7# Barrio SLX for about £35.00 You have a complete set up for a little over a hundred quid. The Barrio is an excellent line but rarely live longer than 2 seasons
                  Hi LG, what about the Shakespeare series fro John Norris?

Do you mean the John Norris P3 single handed fly rods?

How about a split cane rod, have you, or, any other members' experienced night time Sea Trout Fishing with a cane rod?

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Enigma jonathan jones sea trout special

Hi i have an enigma 10' 8 weight Jonathan jones sea trout special (the original) and the best one they ever made lots of power, has been recently shod with a custom made flor grade cork handle and fighting butt with a brand bew black alps reel seat triangular design, comes with original tube, open to sensible offers

Comment

Working...
                    X