Maximum Reel weight for a 10 foot #7 Rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Reel weight for a 10 foot #7 Rod

Someone asked me the above question when considering a reel for Sea Trout Fishing. They are wanting a minimum storage of 100 metres X 20lb. Dacron Backing.
    Someone suggested a Marquis No.1 Salmon Reel, however, the weight is 8.1 ounces and I would suggest quite heavy!
    I have used the old system 2 reel which is heavier than the Marquis No. 1, however, it does not feel O.K.!
    Comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards, Holly.

Chuffin' hell my fine Yorkshire Pudding this is not an exact science. It will of course depend on which rod you are sticking the reel on and how it feels in the sweaty mitt. Take the rod to a tackle shop and try some reels on it or if you're really posh have your butler do it ~#
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
      Chuffin' hell my fine Yorkshire Pudding this is not an exact science. It will of course depend on which rod you are sticking the reel on and how it feels in the sweaty mitt. Take the rod to a tackle shop and try some reels on it or if you're really posh have your butler do it ~#
      Hi LG, I was thinking about applying rotational equilibrium, about where I place my sweaty mitts.

It's a Hardy Jet Sintrix 10' #7 4PC Rod.

We don't have any local tackle shops apart from the ones who sell rugby balls!

I have tried some reels on it and they feel O.K.

I read in James Waltham's excellent book that he used a Salmon Reel on his 10' Rods for capacity and that is why I asked if anyone had experience of it!

Any Sea Trout in the Lune yet or are you keeping it a secret?

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Heyup Yorkshire, I had some last Friday night from a secret location on the river somewhere abouts. I will recant the tale and location to you when next I phone deepest darkest Yorkshire where the men are clever and the ladies are beautiful. Had some high jinx with with a big arsed salmon on the Eden that in spite of me saying please just didn't want to show me what it looked like. Damned unsporting gesture from a fish if you ask me old bean.

Brian, if I were you I would be a little reticent in taking Jimmy Waltham's book with anything but a pinch of salt. I personally know some of the individuals mentioned in some of the tall tales in the book and they have absolutely no memory of the stuff that is meant to have happened. I will also discuss this with you when next we lock metaphorical horns. Please give my love to the delightful Mrs H. Tell her my piano playing is still just as bad but it keeps me off the streets and out of the pub.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

It is easier to solve if your reel is too light, a couple of turns of lead wire either under the backing or around the reel seat will give you an "adjustable mechanism" where you can alter it until it is just right.
          I would imagine though, like so many things in fishing, a lot of it is personal preference & how you hold/cast the rod.
          My only other input would be that 100m is plenty of backing, I think realistically any more is unnecessary, on the rivers I fish if you are much into you backing then you really are in trouble!

Comment

I would recommend that you give Martin a call at Garry Evans in Cardiff a call as they are Hardy agents and have a good selection of reels. Martin will give you good advice and more importantly, a good deal.
            From a personal perspective, I think that the amount of backing is one of the biggest "grey" areas in fishing as the river you fish will normally dictate the amount of backing that is "required". Whilst there may be occasions when you actually have a fish take you down to the backing (truly a great moment!) I know that on my local river, when they do, and they strip more than 15 feet, the fish will be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
              It is easier to solve if your reel is too light, a couple of turns of lead wire either under the backing or around the reel seat will give you an "adjustable mechanism" where you can alter it until it is just right.
              I would imagine though, like so many things in fishing, a lot of it is personal preference & how you hold/cast the rod.
              My only other input would be that 100m is plenty of backing, I think realistically any more is unnecessary, on the rivers I fish if you are much into you backing then you really are in trouble!
              Thank you Sawyer, for your constructive reply, very much appreciated.

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                Heyup Yorkshire, I had some last Friday night from a secret location on the river somewhere abouts. I will recant the tale and location to you when next I phone deepest darkest Yorkshire where the men are clever and the ladies are beautiful. Had some high jinx with with a big arsed salmon on the Eden that in spite of me saying please just didn't want to show me what it looked like. Damned unsporting gesture from a fish if you ask me old bean.

Brian, if I were you I would be a little reticent in taking Jimmy Waltham's book with anything but a pinch of salt. I personally know some of the individuals mentioned in some of the tall tales in the book and they have absolutely no memory of the stuff that is meant to have happened. I will also discuss this with you when next we lock metaphorical horns. Please give my love to the delightful Mrs H. Tell her my piano playing is still just as bad but it keeps me off the streets and out of the pub.
                Cheers LG.

Comment

Originally posted by brian miles View Post
                  I would recommend that you give Martin a call at Garry Evans in Cardiff a call as they are Hardy agents and have a good selection of reels. Martin will give you good advice and more importantly, a good deal.
                  From a personal perspective, I think that the amount of backing is one of the biggest "grey" areas in fishing as the river you fish will normally dictate the amount of backing that is "required". Whilst there may be occasions when you actually have a fish take you down to the backing (truly a great moment!) I know that on my local river, when they do, and they strip more than 15 feet, the fish will be lost.
                  Cheers Brian, I will follow your advice.

Regards, Holly.

Comment

Working...
                  X