Line suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line suggestions

I have bought a second hand (un-used) Airflo Airtrc Switch Nan-Tec (mouthful in itself) 11'3" #8, anyone own one & got a line suggestion. All the blurb on the web suggests an Airflo 40+ but would like an alternative as have had bad experiences with Airflo floating lines in the past. I cannot find a suggested gram/grain weight for the rod so assume it uses the traditional AFTMA ratings (have mailed Airflo & waiting their response).

Airflo quite rightly had a terrible reputation in times gone by for the extremely poor quality for most of their flylines. The thing is today however that hey produce some of the best flylines in the world. They also produce for a lot of other tackle manufacturers and then just badge the line up with the relevant manufacturers brand. If you are still not happy to use their products with your rod then I personally would consider a Barrio switch line which are exceptional to cast with and very reasonably priced. You need to establish which line rating your rod uses. Some use trout line ratings and some use salmon.
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I have heard that they have got their act together so will give them another chance, still trying to establish whether the rating is a "trout" or salmon #8, hopefully Airflo will get back to me soon.

Comment

If they are recommending 40 plus then this is a trout line. Unless of course they are referring to the magazine with middle aged naked ladies in it. If you speak to them however then I am sure that they will confirm this for you. As a comparison guide a standard 7 weight trout line is approximately 12g whereas a 7 weight salmon line is 26g
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

If your after a line for the "switch" 8wt which is calibrated differently to a single handed rod of the same weight which would come out at 210+/- about 8 grn. The grain weight you're after would be 360 and for the rod in question I would go for the short head ultra compact head scandi lines, they suit these rods.

Hope this helps

Cap

Comment

40 plus line weights:
            5 weight 16g 243 grains
            6 weight 17g 261 grains
            7 weight 18.5g 284 grains
            8 weight 21g 323 grains
            9 weight 23.5g 365 grains

Hope that is of some use.
            Last edited by teififlies; 11-08-2016, 09:34.

Comment

Again thanks for all the replies, will try a 40+ & see how it goes then have a dabble with something different!

Comment

Originally posted by steelheadnut View Post
                If your after a line for the "switch" 8wt which is calibrated differently to a single handed rod of the same weight which would come out at 210+/- about 8 grn. The grain weight you're after would be 360 and for the rod in question I would go for the short head ultra compact head scandi lines, they suit these rods.

Hope this helps

Cap

This is not actually correct. Zpey (switch rods) and some others use true AFTM (single handed) ratings for their rods. Some manufacturers use salmon ratings AFTMA This is why I always advise people to buy cautiously when selecting a line for a switch rod. The whole thing is a complete bloody mess which I believe is perpetuated in an attempt to frighten end users into buying the same rod and line manufacture from the same company.
                www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

To add to the confusion Airflo have replied that the recommended line weight for the rod is 450-500g which seems a bit OTT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
                    To add to the confusion Airflo have replied that the recommended line weight for the rod is 450-500g which seems a bit OTT!!!
                    I'm presuming that would be the skagit line?
                    The lines I quoted above are the scandi lines for this rod.
                    To put your mind at rest I would recommend you to go to an outlet like sportfish, john norris, etc. and try one
                    Most angling outlets will do this.

Cap
                    Last edited by steelheadnut; 11-08-2016, 12:31. Reason: aditional info

Comment

This reply would suggest that your rod is in fact rated for a salmon 8 weight line which is 30g or 460 grains. This really makes it in my opinion a light double hander which you can of course still overhead cast should you so choose. It would however be my personal recommendation that you use both hands for this purpose since single handed overhead casting a 30g head would be extremely tiring or require you to perhaps be a steroid abusing Russian Olympic athlete. The rod should of course Spey cast a 30g head if it is in fact rated as suggested without any issue. I would add that Barrio do produce a 30g switch line and they are a delight to cast and fish with.
                      Last edited by laffingravy; 11-08-2016, 13:35.
                      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Don't know if this is any help, but ive got the same rod in a seven weight! For this i use the Barrio switch line in 6-7weight. I do think this is probably the nicest line ive got on any rod ive got!
                        By this, i would have thought the barrio 7_8 weight would be just about right for your rod!

Comment

This confusion over switch rod line ratings is disgraceful. The sooner all rods and lines, carry a simple grain/gram weight, the better.
                          Just to add my thoughts, I have a 11.5 ft switch rod, rated #8/9, and it is definitely referring to single hand 'trout' lines. It casts a #9 airflo 40+, and a snowbee switch line #6/7 @ 350 gr.
                          Last edited by aaron; 18-08-2016, 00:34.

Comment

Working...
                          X