sink tips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sink tips

Hi there to all members and visiting members, hope your season is a good one!

I have just made a fishing colleague of mine, some sink tips of varying lengths; he has had quite good results!

I am also using a 60cm fast sinking adapted poly leader, to good effect.

This seems to be more effective when the river height is > 75 mm (> summer level), does anyone else use short sink tips?

It most certainly helps the fly from not skating.

Regards, holly.

Adapted sink tips

Can you please enlighten me what these are?

Yes I use Polyleaders in Float, inter, and 2.6"/sec sink in the short lengths?

I don't like Polys that much, the sheath that goes around the floating tips has a tendency to retain water between the sheath and the mono core.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick B View Post
      Can you please enlighten me what these are?

Yes I use Polyleaders in Float, inter, and 2.6"/sec sink in the short lengths?

I don't like Polys that much, the sheath that goes around the floating tips has a tendency to retain water between the sheath and the mono core.

I suspect that from this reply you are using Airflo polyleaders. There are other manufactures available that do not suffer this failing :>
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

I used to use shop bought poly leaders and then moved to much shorter salmon leaders that were cut down to around 60cm (same as you).
        Much more confident in them when I want to get down and quick!
        I also find that loop to loop connections aren't the best as it creates a fulcrum.
        So I have started using an Albright knot to stop this happening - http://www.animatedknots.com/albrigh...om#ScrollPoint
        https://onthedangle.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
          I suspect that from this reply you are using Airflo polyleaders. There are other manufactures available that do not suffer this failing :>

What brand would you recommened?

Comment

sink tips

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am using Airflo Salmon/Steelhead 1.5M, PolyLeaders, Fast sinking.

The 6o cm tip, casts very nicely, with minimum disturbance!

Regards, holly.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_n View Post
              I used to use shop bought poly leaders and then moved to much shorter salmon leaders that were cut down to around 60cm (same as you).
              I also find that loop to loop connections aren't the best as it creates a fulcrum.
              So I have started using an Albright knot to stop this happening - http://www.animatedknots.com/albrigh...om#ScrollPoint
              Cheers Dave, I like the Albright Knot concept, well done.

Do you manage to use the above knot at the riverside, or, do you apply this at home.

Regards, HH.

Comment

Question

Originally posted by dave_n View Post

A small question when your shortening a 1.5m Salmon leader
                You and holly both say your shortening it to 60cm and using the tip section.

A) Do you attach a piece of mono to the flyline then join the mono to the Salmon leader?
                Or
                B) Join the shortened Salmon leader direct to the flyline?

If B, which end do you make the loop in, the flyline or the shortened Salmon leader?

Many thanks in advance,

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                  Cheers Dave, I like the Albright Knot concept, well done.

Do you manage to use the above knot at the riverside, or, do you apply this at home.

Regards, HH.
                  Always at the riverside - I only know what depth I want to be once I've seen the state of the river
                  Practice at home so you don't get it wrong on the bank

Comment

A) Do you attach a piece of mono to the flyline then join the mono to the Salmon leader?
                    Or

If B, which end do you make the loop in, the flyline or the shortened Salmon leader?

Many thanks in advance,
                    Hi
                    B for me - I put a loop in the salmon leader where it joins the flyline

Comment

If you click on this LINK The Rio ones are as good as any. Unlike the Airflo polyleaders these things sink at the rate stated on the packet. As for loop fulcrum / hinge? Nahhhh doesn't happen. I use them for 90% of my seat trout fishing and a number of my clients have tried them and have not gone back to Airflo polyleaders. I have caught trout, sea trout and salmon on them when fishing single handed.
                      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Or

Many thanks in advance,
                        B for me and in the shortened Salmon Leader.

My fishing colleague has had as many as four in a night to 3lb. so, it must be quite effective, only three for me.

The main reason for the initial post, was, because I always like the river to be at Summer level or below, however, the river has been between 75mm and 125 mm; that's were the sink tip comes in.

Regards, holly.

Comment

The greatest overriding factor as to how you set up a tip of any description on the front end of a fly line is of course the front end taper. If you have a fine taper on the front end of your fly line such as on a double tapered trout line then using a sinking trout leader can of course cause issues with effective turnover as once the cast is made and energy transfers from the rod tip through the line to deliver the fly, with a finer front end taper not energy remains to turn over your sinking tip. This is of course greatly exaggerated when using a sinking salmon tip since they tend to be thicker than trout leaders. If you are creating tips of only 600mm in length then some of this effect may be mitigated against but maintaining stability of your loop may prove difficult. Here is a video clip of some Single handed Spey casts on the mid Lune. A 10 fft medium fast sinking trout tip is used (4" per second ) and a copper tube.

www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

sink tips

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                            The greatest overriding factor as to how you set up a tip of any description on the front end of a fly line is of course the front end taper. If you have a fine taper on the front end of your fly line such as on a double tapered trout line then using a sinking trout leader can of course cause issues with effective turnover as once the cast is made and energy transfers from the rod tip through the line to deliver the fly, with a finer front end taper not energy remains to turn over your sinking tip. This is of course greatly exaggerated when using a sinking salmon tip since they tend to be thicker than trout leaders. If you are creating tips of only 600mm in length then some of this effect may be mitigated against but maintaining stability of your loop may prove difficult. Here is a video clip of some Single handed Spey casts on the mid Lune. A 10 fft medium fast sinking trout tip is used (4" per second ) and a copper tube.

Hi there LG, many thanks for the fantastic video clip, however, my set up is casting very well. I must confess however, the set up is by means of trial and improvement, not formed by technical application.
                            When are we going to have a cast together? I'm hoping to fish Saturday night on the Lune, subject to conditions.
                            Regards, holly.

Comment

I use polyleaders a lot and always ask clients to turn up with a 8ft sea-trout polyleader in intermediate and fast-sink, which covers most eventualities if they only have a floating line and saves having to buy a proper sink-tip line. Never had issues with them and have been using them for many moons.

Having said that, I personally like and prefer the non-tapered tips and for that always put my trust in the Michael Evans ones (also produced by Airflo): http://www.michaelevans.co.uk/shop/l...ly-leaders-10/

TT.

Comment

Working...
                              X