Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floods for months, what effect on the spawning??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floods for months, what effect on the spawning??

Does anyone have any idea how the continued flooding will affect spawning this year? Strikes me that many eggs must have been washed away this year. Has this happened in the past and what was the outcome? Would love to know if anybody has seen, heard or experienced a winter like this before?

I am certainly no expert on these things,but with this constant rain Cardigan bay must be full of sea trout/salmon eggs.The dogfish will be reaching record proportions.

Comment

The rain not in Spain falls mainly on the Teifi.

I ain't no expert either but, eggs laid are up in the spawning redds. Don't think it matters how much rain falls in respect of that area as its high up near the source and not subjected to the huge spates we see downstream(with all its added problems like fallen trees, collapsing banks, outside pollution etc.) and, nature being what it is, the most successful method of depositing said future resource is employed. I would say in that respect, we do not need to worry at all. Its the many other non natural factors at work we need to concern ourselves with-perhaps. Anyway, a very happy new year to you too and all our members, visitors and others who visit the wonderful Teifi river valley. May all your catches be huge and your problems tiny.

cheers:>

Tomtom.

Comment

So far,this "winter" must be the wettest and mildest ever.Is it possible that migratory fish can get high enough to avoid the floods.I think not.Anyway all the best:>

Comment

lets hope

Lets hope mother nature thought of this a long time ago! I'm sure nature copes,its just been raining every day,big river for months, just makes you wonder what's going on under the flood waters. It will be interesting to see if any pools have changed. Hopefully the floods have washed all the balsam away out to sea!!!!!

Comment

And some trees, check out the petition i posted up

Comment

I doubt if the floods are sending the balsam out to sea Fiskeking.Just be spreading the seeds around and making the bloody stuff worse.

Comment

strimmer at the ready!!

I know, will be hammering away at it as soon as it starts sprouting,again!! Must admit I did enjoy trying, its nice to do something like that, most enjoyable. Will be interesting to see if it comes back as thick this year in the places I had a go at last year. Keep on going I guess!!

Comment

Working...
                X