Shooting winter 2014/15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting winter 2014/15

As the fishing season draws to a close it's always nice to have some shooting to look forward to; at the very least it keeps me in materials the following season

Have not been out on the pheasants yet; first day Saturday and cannot wait.

Have had a couple of outings on the ducks and there seems to be good numbers around - both mallard and teal. Same goes for the snipe; a fair few being seen when waiting for the evening flight.

TT.

Well i'm a probationary member of a Wildfowling club.
    Hope to get a bit done, this winter, and the dog is joining us next year....i hope!
    Cheers
    Aled

Comment

I`m hopeing to get out with the dog Saturday week and find out if there are any woodcock about!

Comment

Ah yes the good old woodcock, I really enjoyed shooting them over my vizsla, and I do miss the winter season with the dogs.
        I was out on a shoot over Ludlow way a good few years ago, shooting in a trial over cockers, we were two pairs of guns, myself and a friend under one judge and two guys local to the area under the other.
        We encountered numerous birds, mostly pheasant but a few woodcock were showing that day, but to cut to the chase so to speak one of the other guns who was a stranger to the welsh language asked me what the welsh name for woodcock was. Without batting an eyelid I said it was cnychwr-y-coed, he went back to his shooting happy in knowledge that he knew the name of one bird in welsh,hoping to put him straight later on that day, but clean forgot to at the dinner afterwards.
        Classic :> :> :>

Cap

Comment

Well Cap after seeing you on TV one evening talking about the Welsh language it is good to see you practice what you preach....:>
          Da iawn.
          Aled

Comment

cnychwr-y-coed :>

Comment

First time out today! Saw 5 and managed to get one!
              Should have been a couple more but was a bit slow with the shotgun!
              There again it is the first time i`ve picked up the shotgun for 8 months!:>

Sorry about the crap photo!

Comment

Saw my first of the winter last week, and today was a lovely frosty day, i would love to be working those rough pieces of ground not far from my home with a dog today!
                Nice one Teifi88.
                Cheers
                Aled

Comment

TT et al, I came across your or Cap"s translation of woodcock as "Cnychwr y coed" .I had to smile as I'm sure you all know what cnychwr means !!!! I"ve just looked at Y Geiriadur Mawr & Y Geiriadur Cyfoes & yes I knew all along what it was....sef CYFFYLOG.I"ve been shooting since I was 14 & am now 68(worst luck) & the only translation I"ve ever heard it called is Cyffylog.My family are all from the Hebron/Glandwr/Crymych area & one of my cousins who recently retired as a farmer from Nant y Mab Isaf,Halfway always asked me whether I was coming down "I hela cyffylog neu ddau?" to which my response would be"Sai"n medru gweld y diawlaid fel o"n I !"
                  It may be that Cnychwr is a local term to the Llandyssul area & if that is so all well & good.Just thought you might want to know my take on it ....as there are plenty of Cnychwyr in the Loughor area where I live !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Hwyl Dyfed

Comment

Diolch Dyfed :>

As for not being able to see them let alone shoot them; I know the feeling all too well and don't even get me started on snipe.

As for the 'cnychwr y coed' not sure if that is a local colloquialism, but it does raise a smile.

Well done on the woodcock, Teifi88, good job. I was out 2 weekends ago and we saw some 20 during a pheasant shoot in the Pentrecwrt area. However, over the very same ground this Saturday we did not see a single bird. Very odd.

TT.

Comment

Dyfed ife Nant y Mab, Halfway, Sir Gar ti'n son am?
                      (ma sawl Nant y Mab a Halfway dros Gymru!)
                      Pob hwyl
                      Aled

ps regarding eyesight, i visited the optician relatively recently....he checked ,y eyes and told me "there's bug*er all wrong with your eyes your just getting old"
                      Well he was honest i suppose!

Comment

Shooting winter 2014/2015

Aled/TT,
                        Diolch am eich negeseion.Ie, Aled ,Nant Y Mab Isa", Halfway(Dai Boot gynt).Mae Kitty Raymond newydd ymddeol fel ffermwraig ac yn gyfneither I finne.....twlsen y diawl!!!!Sawl blwyddyn yn ol buodd hi ai gwr,Brian, yn rhedeg y Swyddfa Bost yn Llanegwad cyn iddynt gymryd drosodd ffermio N y Mab.Roedd Dai Boot yn fyw pryd hynny ac roeddwn I yn cael tocyn pryd bynnag oedd eisiau,am ddim ambell i waith ar yr amod bod digon o fwydon mawr I rhoi I Dai:@
                        Those were the days,my friend......& as far as the eyes are concerned the story is the same with me.Years ago I used to shoot Jacksnipe when coming off the Penclawdd/Cydweli marshes you needed reactions like a cat,eyes like an owl....& often you"d blast the sky where the Jsnipe had been:> Quite often I"d still have 3 or 4 shot in both barrels before realising & switching to 7s or lighter. I found snipe (Giach) to be easier for some reason.Yes, they were the great old days.....dawn flight,tide flights & dusk/dark flights......great memories.
                        Hwyl am y tro Dyfed

Comment

Reit te Dyfed, fi oedd best man Dylan adeg ei briodas gyda Anette nol yn 1997! Hefyd fi wnaeth ei gyflwyno fe i sgota pan oeddwn yn ysgol
                          Felly ma siawns bod ni wedi cwrdd. Fi'n nabod y teulu yn dda iawn.
                          Pob Hwyl
                          Aled

ps I am a probabtionary member of Carmarthenshire Wildfowlers, who have some shooting on Kidwelly marsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
                            ps I am a probabtionary member of Carmarthenshire Wildfowlers, who have some shooting on Kidwelly marsh.

Having witnessed your shooting Aled I think there's a fair chance that you will remain on probation! :>

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post

Well done on the woodcock, Teifi88, good job. I was out 2 weekends ago and we saw some 20 during a pheasant shoot in the Pentrecwrt area. However, over the very same ground this Saturday we did not see a single bird. Very odd.

TT.
                              The unpredictability of woodcock is what i find so frustrating yet so exciting at the same time!:>

Comment

Working...
                              X