No announcement yet.

Pigeon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flappers are deadly, UF. I went pigeon shooting last year with a friend of mine near Oxford. He had 2 of them setup and they pulled them in like crazy! You then formed a pattern from the ones you shot, which added to the flock, and pulled them in even stronger.

A deadly bit of kit, and a great way of controlling big numbers.

TT.

Comment

Not long now until the 1st crops are cut, and the decoys dusted off, if this weather behaves!

I know it's slightly off topic - but how does everyone cook them? Any good recipes to try?

Cheers

Chuck.
      Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Pigeons are excellent to eat. I breast them out then soak the brasts in milk for about 1 hour before tossing then in flour then wrap streaky bacon around the and either grill them or put them in the oven. The bacon goes crispy and takes all the major heat while the breast gets slowly cooked inside.
        Last edited by Ugie Fisher; 13-06-2009, 22:54.

Comment

That sounds very nice UF, nice one. |\ Will be trying that.

Pigeon meat is very underrated. You get quite a lot from what is - after plucking - a very small bird. Very rich meat, with great flavour.

I tend to de-breast pigeons, woodcock, snipe etc. then freeze them down. When I've got a decent stock I chuck them all in a pie.

I find pigeon meat works very well with parsnip as well as bacon, as UF pointed out.

Give me a shout if you need some company Chuck!! :@

TT.

Comment

will do TT, I find the birds slightly more reliable than fish, so should be able to get enough for a pie or 2!

do you reckon PhilRich would be any good as a 'picker-up'/retriever???? {;

speak soon

Chuck
            Dal y slac yn dyn!

Comment

Working...
            X