Circle hooks for Sewin / Salmon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many thanks for all the info.

In the past I have used the same hook supplier as yourself, fast, efficient and very competitive pricing.

The long shanks are an idea worth investigating, not thought of trying that, I will make some up from long shanked sea hooks and give them a trial.
    My initial idea was to try mono, then flexible wire, lastly braid which I have large stocks up to 1.2mm.
    Take care when using super glue on fine braid as the glue heats up while its curing and this could damage the fine threads of braid.

Have you tried braiding mono?
    Amnesia or plain mono can be twisted to produce a simi-flexible stem with a loop on one end, Ive used these on streamers and it certainly produces a flexible stem under the tube, the only problem is that its almost weightless, and why Ive considered braided wire.

Ive also thought about fitting an 'action ring' into the eye of some circle hooks, small rings are now available aplenty and it should be possible to fit one into a the eye of a ringed circle hook. Add a small oval split ring and a free swinging hook mount should be attainable.
    The gape of most hooks can be adjusted with careful application of force, as can the offset which can be removed quite easily Ive found.

Recreational circles were originally pioneered from commercial designs which use a limited numbering system of measurement rather than the extensive system used for recreational hooks.
    I have quite a collection of circles from all over the world, the earliest is made from a ships nail and came from Polynesia, my last is Russian long line hook which I took from the mouth of a Marlin that had broken free.

Outside the UK there is a wealth of material if your perparred to put in the keyboard hours, one example is Jens Bursell (www.bursell.dk) who has done a lot of work on alternative hooking systems specifically for sea trout.
    His new designs have resulted in a greater hooking efficiency than previously attainable.
    A modification of his L rig system, using a circle instead of a mini treble may be another route to the perfect rigging, I will make a few up for trial this week.
    Another site worth keeping an eye on is; http://www.fishmadman.com/

I will look through my hook stocks and see what circles I have that to see what would be most suitable and let you know.

When the private message system is open for both of us we can exchange details and I will send you some samples and lots more info, until then keep posting.

Last edited by Mick B; 24-07-2016, 23:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick B View Post

When the private message system is open for both of us we can exchange details and I will send you some samples and lots more info, until then keep posting.

You are both registered users, so there should be no reason why the private messaging service does not work between you. If there is an ongoing issue please do let me know and I will look into it, but, again, on checking the forum permissions for you both it is the standard 'registered user'.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
        You are both registered users, so there should be no reason why the private messaging service does not work between you. If there is an ongoing issue please do let me know and I will look into it, but, again, on checking the forum permissions for you both it is the standard 'registered user'.

TT.

Many thanks TT.
        I will send a test pm to see if it works which it should do now Ive reset my pm fields!
        Last edited by Mick B; 25-07-2016, 13:38. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

Working...
        X