Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constructing a secret-weapon/stinger mount.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructing a secret-weapon/stinger mount.

Much the same as the Jambo step-by-step I've posted with it being a generic mount for numerous patterns. Hopefully the sequence is easy to follow, and some of you make good use of it.

Step 1:

Attach the treble hook to the vice. Take a length of nylon, 20cm of so will suffice – hard nylon/fluoro is best, here I have used Seaguar. Pass one end of the nylon through the eye of the treble, then pass the other end through from the other direction.

Step 2:

Draw both ends tight and make sure the loop being formed gets trapped between the bend of the treble hooks. Trap the loop on the treble and secure with the thread. Once a few wraps have been formed you can draw the loop in tightly.

Step 3:

After a base of tying thread has been formed attach some silver tinsel. Further to this, apply a coat of superb glue, which will help secure the nylon, but also secure the silver tinsel without the need of a wire rib.

Step 4:

Run the tinsel down the length of the treble, then secure at the head. Build up a ‘strike point’ of fire-orange thread and super-glue or varnish to finish off – it is important to varnish at this stage, doing so later could equate to wing material etc. getting trapped in the varnish.

Step 5:

Point the eye of the treble towards you, with the two ends of the nylon hanging loosely. Pass one length of nylon over the other and continue to do so until a good length of twists have been constructed - drawing the two lengths away from each other will help in getting tighter twists, which, in turn, slightly stiffens the connection. Don’t be tempted to hold the nylon and twist the treble, the twists won’t form the same and will not hold the same. Once enough twists have been formed throw a half hitch to hold them in place until ready for use.

Step 6:

Attach the Aberdeen hook to the vice, and bring the nylon and treble up to be secured. Measure the length to protrude before securing, pinch and loop, then secure along the rest of the shank. Once the initial section has been secured the rest of the twists can be worked out, in order to give you a level tying bed on which to construct the body.

Step 7:

When working the two lengths of nylon down the shank pass one end through the eye of the hook and loop it back under the shank. Secure with thread, snip the one length near the eye of the hook, and the other length, which has been doubled back, by the bend. Fully secure the whole body with thread and apply a coat of superglue to secure and bind.

For inspiration; here are some examples of stinger patterns that have produced doubles for me over the last two seasons:

TT.

Cracking photos Steffan, i do like the look of those flies.
    Have you tried using pike trace wire instead of nylon? I personally find it makes a good mount.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

Comment

Really useful step by step Steff|\. A couple of questions if you don't mind. What sort of size treble do you recommend? Also do you have an opinion as to whether outpoints offer any real advantage over standard trebles?

Thanks
      Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
        Have you tried using pike trace wire instead of nylon?
        I've never tried it to be honest Aled, but I have had clients that have come armed with patterns that have been constructed from this material. What I have found is that when the wire kinks the fly is practically ruined, as it cannot be 'un-kinked'. Further to that, I have seen some people try to counteract this flaw by utilising stiffer wire, this, for me, just created far too stiff a mount. Each to their own I guess.

Originally posted by Waddington View Post
        Really useful step by step Steff|\. A couple of questions if you don't mind. What sort of size treble do you recommend? Also do you have an opinion as to whether outpoints offer any real advantage over standard trebles?
        Thanks
        Phil
        Thanks for the comments Phil, much appreciated. If they assist just one person then I'm happy.

I am a big fan of owner trebles, they really are top hooks - strong and super sharp. I no longer use trebles on tubes, but to prefer them at the back end of a stinger or surface lure, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else. Owner produce a trebles that's actually named the 'stinger'! Not for the same reason, I'm sure. But they are a great hook. The model number is: ST-36BC. I would use these primarily in size 14's for the stingers, but also up to a size 12 for some of the larger/longer flies, which, at times, may be touching 4 inches long when wet.

In regards to outpoints; I tend to look for a treble that has a short shank, strong wire, sharp point, and a nicely rounded bend/gape - I hate when the gape is too narrow. The kamasan treble is a nice hook, but nowhere near as strong as the owner hooks. I cannot find a better treble hook on the market than the owner trebles.

Steff.

Comment

Your comment about the stiffer wire mount is smack on Steffan, and i find sea fishing elasticum wire works well for me, but with regards to the kink factor i'm not sure, maybe i've just been lucky.
          However your final comment each to his own well, totally true, so i better say my favourite words in fishing "self confidence" the most important factor in any fly tied. |\
          Tight Lines Gyfaill.
          Aled

Comment

Steff,

I replaced the trebles on my Rapalas towards the end of last season, after a pretty disappointing hook failure, to Owners and was very pleased with the quality. I will definitely check out the pattern you recommend in suitable sizes.

Do you tend to use the 'Stinger' near the top of the water - ie off an intermediate, slow sink tip? Or do you use it as an alternative to a tube fished deep?

Thanks
            Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Aled View Post
              "self confidence" the most important factor in any fly tied. |\
              Couldn't agree more Aled.

Originally posted by Waddington View Post
              Do you tend to use the 'Stinger' near the top of the water - ie off an intermediate, slow sink tip? Or do you use it as an alternative to a tube fished deep?
              Hey Phil,

Stingers allow you to fish very long flies without adding too much weight. I do like fishing the stingers on an intermediate line, starting off with a stinger on the point and a single on the dropper, then searching the depths from there down by adding different weights on the dropper i.e. copper tubes etc. the stinger would always remain on the point. They can also be deadly fished on a short leader e.g. 3ft, on a faster sinking line, such as a di-3. I don't tend to use them much on the floating line, but did get a good fish on the Teifi towards the end of the 2007 season on the jambo mount i.e the stinger mount with the single hook snipped at the bend. If you are turning a lot of fish on the surface lure, then sometimes a large pattern like this fished in or just under the surface can result in better hook-ups.

You do tend to lose very few fish on these, for obvious reasons. They can take a while to tie, but definitely worth carrying a few.

TT.

Comment

Hi Phil
                I'm rather partial to this type of fly as well,especially on a sinking line. I like the colours used by Steffan and have already made some copies |\.
                Moc Morgan's pattern "mocs cert" has worked particularly well for me on this type of mount.
                Tight Lines
                Aled

Comment

Thanks for the advice Aled and Steff. I will have to get my act together and try and tie a few of these up. It would be nice if I actually managed to tie up a decent number of flies for once, before the start of the new season!

Phil

Comment

Now i've been cheating, after settling kids at around 8pm been sat at the vice for 30 mins most evenings recently, its been very theraputic.
                    Tight Lines
                    Aled

Comment

These were the other flies I mentioned:

They are basically a jambo or a surface lure mount with the front hook clipped. Great alternative to a waddington.

TT.

Comment

Hi All

As always really great looking flies Steff but just wondering what you think the advantages of the stinger mount are against say the plastic tube which is easier to tie up as no mount is involved.I have and use stingers mysely but was just wondering.

Regards Dancer

Comment

Now change the 'trailer to a small (#4) single or double ...

to keep it 'legal,(:,' and that could be a hell of a winter Steelhead fly. Would you like my address to check this out?
                          :>)

fae

Comment

Originally posted by dancer View Post
                            Hi All

As always really great looking flies Steff but just wondering what you think the advantages of the stinger mount are against say the plastic tube which is easier to tie up as no mount is involved.I have and use stingers mysely but was just wondering.

Regards Dancer
                            Hi Dancer,

great question! I totally agree, platic tubes are a lot easier to tie-up - I feel like crying when I lose a stinger! :>

If I'm honest I rarely fish plastic tubes, but do have a lot of confidence in stingers. Would the same fish that takes a stinger take a plastic tube? probably. This largely boils down to confidence I think, but the stingers do offer a bit more weight than the plastic tubes, and you will very rarely lose a fish on stingers, especially when fishing a long fly, where in a tube there would be no front hook. In addition, I think the trailing hook can pick up some of the 'nippers'.

After all that is said; if you have confidence in plastic tubes vs. stingers, then stick with them. Personally I would carry both.

TT.

Comment

Working...
                            X