Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small plastic tubes

Hi there, to all our members.
    The rivers in the North West are very low, so apart from the surface lure; when it's dark enough, has anyone had success with 1/2 inch plastic tubes tied as stoat's tail etc. ?
    holly.

My go to fly on the Ribble is a small, ½ inch plastic tube, the Salmon like is as much as the Sea Trout.

Chris

Comment

Heyup Brian, of course small plastic tubes will work. The trick however is to get the balance right with which hook you use. If you use a heavier treble then your plastic tube will swim arse down and will still catch up on some of the slower pools like Malvina's and the Long Pool. if you use a very lightweight single then your tube will skate particularly in the Long Pool and you might as well use a surface lure. If you take our favourite dropper and instead fish it on the point without a dropper then you get the best of both worlds. The Long Pool yesterday fished in daylight was full of small sea trout which when fishing for salmon became a bit for a pain in the arse. I lost count of how many we had and finished up fishing a single hook on a stainless steel needle tube and shaking them off as I could no longer be bothered. Did pick a half decent fish up of about 6lbs which unfortunately shook itself off. River rose to 2ft 7" mid afternoon and debris started floating down and pretty much killed everything. I waded down Malvinas and it still fails to inspire me in any way shape or form. I really cannot see the appeal. I might see you Sunday as I might get on the river after the Lowther Show. I will ring you later in the week and let you know what's happening
      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance but why a small plastic tube instead of a smaller fly, is it sink rate or profile that we would be concerned about?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisc161076 View Post
          Please excuse my ignorance but why a small plastic tube instead of a smaller fly, is it sink rate or profile that we would be concerned about?
          I was making reference to fishing the small tube as a surface lure, fishing hopefully, in the film, Chris.
          holly

Comment

Originally posted by Chris68 View Post
            My go to fly on the Ribble is a small, ½ inch plastic tube, the Salmon like is as much as the Sea Trout.

Chris
            Cheers Chris, what size treble do you use when fishing the 1/2 inch plastic tube? I have had this discussion many times and the variation is quite incredible.

holly.

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
              Heyup Brian, of course small plastic tubes will work. The trick however is to get the balance right with which hook you use. If you use a heavier treble then your plastic tube will swim arse down and will still catch up on some of the slower pools like Malvina's and the Long Pool. if you use a very lightweight single then your tube will skate particularly in the Long Pool and you might as well use a surface lure. If you take our favourite dropper and instead fish it on the point without a dropper then you get the best of both worlds. The Long Pool yesterday fished in daylight was full of small sea trout which when fishing for salmon became a bit for a pain in the arse. I lost count of how many we had and finished up fishing a single hook on a stainless steel needle tube and shaking them off as I could no longer be bothered. Did pick a half decent fish up of about 6lbs which unfortunately shook itself off. River rose to 2ft 7" mid afternoon and debris started floating down and pretty much killed everything. I waded down Malvinas and it still fails to inspire me in any way shape or form. I really cannot see the appeal. I might see you Sunday as I might get on the river after the Lowther Show. I will ring you later in the week and let you know what's happening
              Cheers laffingravy, you know my preference for sea trout, thanks to you.
              A silver stoat's tail on the point and our favourite on the dropper.
              holly.

Comment

Holly, I use a small single carp hook, size 10 or less

Comment

Originally posted by holly View Post
                  Cheers laffingravy, you know my preference for sea trout, thanks to you.
                  A silver stoat's tail on the point and our favourite on the dropper.
                  holly.
                  Come on then, are you going to show us??? :>

Comment

Originally posted by Chris68 View Post
                    Holly, I use a small single carp hook, size 10 or less
                    Any particular make or type?

Comment

plastic tube

Cheers Chris, will remember that, and give it a try when conditions are appropriate.
                      holly.

Comment

grilse

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                        Hi there G, a 7lb. grilse was taken Tuesday evening on the beat downstream of Arkholme. Also a good run of Herling.

Comment

Working...
                        X