Double hooks for tube and needle flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double hooks for tube and needle flies

I'm wanting to scale down to double hooks (rather than trebles) for tube and needle flies. Does anybody have recommendations for doubles with 'straight' eyes? For some reason I don't like the angle you get when inserting an up- or down-turned eye into the flexible tube.

Apologies if I'm replicating an earlier thread.

Thanks in advance,
    SS

I would go with these, SS:

http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co....ic-tube-double

I really liked the older Partridge BMDs too, if you can find them - they were only around £3 for 10.

TT.

Comment

I use the partridge ones that TT mentioned and the Loop version, which are quite similar. The Loops are more pricey I think...

Comment

Guideline or loop doubles are great
        theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

I use Owner Stinger doubles which you can buy from John Norris in Penrith. I would hasten to add that a couple of my mates have had the points break off and they claim that they are brittle. It has never happened to me and until it does I am happy enough to run with them.
          Last edited by laffingravy; 25-07-2014, 15:08. Reason: Podgy fingered terpo erm tarpo erm typi oh bugger it I pressed the wrong keys
          www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations - much appreciated. Have now ordered some patriot Nordic doubles. There must have been a run on the BMDs as I couldn't find any in the larger sizes on-line.

Cheers
            SS

Comment

Silverstoat... I have been told by quite a few anglers that they have thrown out all their bmd hooks as they straighten with a decent fish hitting them, I still have mine in size 8 but have never had a decent fish on them yet, one day I might get the chance to throw mine out aswell but untill then I'll keep em but if it happens to me I'll throw em then|\

Comment

Originally posted by johnevs View Post
                Silverstoat... I have been told by quite a few anglers that they have thrown out all their bmd hooks as they straighten with a decent fish hitting them, I still have mine in size 8 but have never had a decent fish on them yet, one day I might get the chance to throw mine out aswell but untill then I'll keep em but if it happens to me I'll throw em then|\
                Thanks for the tip johnevs. Glad I didn't manage to buy of those, but then recent form suggests I'm unlikely to connect with a hook straightener any time soon!

Comment

Originally posted by silverstoat View Post
                  Thanks for the tip johnevs. Glad I didn't manage to buy of those, but then recent form suggests I'm unlikely to connect with a hook straightener any time soon!
                  Ha me either:>

Comment

The larger sizes are totally fine JE. However, the smaller sizes are soft and quite 'bouncy'. Not to show-off but more to prove I point; I have had sea trout to over 20 lbs on them on the Rio Grande.

SS; they are no longer produced, but some shops still have stock.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
                      The larger sizes are totally fine JE. However, the smaller sizes are soft and quite 'bouncy'. Not to show-off but more to prove I point; I have had sea trout to over 20 lbs on them on the Rio Grande.

SS; they are no longer produced, but some shops still have stock.

TT.
                      Nobody likes a show off tt :>

Comment

Nobody likes a show off tt :>
                        :> I promise it was just to prove a point

TT

Comment

Working...
                        X