Casting Heavier Flies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting Heavier Flies

My current set up is a 9' #6 weight, which l use for still waters and sea trout on the Western Cleddau (Small River).

I'm after a few tips to help me cast heavier lures with this rod, mambo's, small snakes etc.

Most of my casting utilises the over head, with an introduction of a haul every now and then.

For the larger flies l try to pause a little longer than l would normally would with the smaller flies between the forward and back cast, which l find helps, l also try to use heavier fluorocarbon and stay with a leader length of around 9'.

Have you got any tips or suggestions that might help?

Thanks

I have the same length/line rating rod and use mono (maxima ultra green or chameleon) in 12lb bs rather than fluorocarbon. I shorten the leader length to 6-7' and just have the large fly on point (i.e. no dropper). I don't get the same turn-over as I would with a 10' #7 but I find I can just about get away with it. I guess it's trial and error as well; working out the limitations of your rod/line and staying within its tolerances when fishing in the depths of night.

Comment

I would agree with silverstoat shorten your leader to around 6ft especially with surface lures as they do tend to soak in a little water which makes them even heavier, and a pain to cast on a normal leader of about 10-12ft. And is key to try and avoid to many false casts...
      theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

You could try using more of an oval or belgium cast. Be aware that it can create a twist in your line if you use it too often.

Comment

Get a 7 weight?

Comment

Check your fly line as well, some lines with a more aggressive taper will turn over the more wind resistant heavier flies a lot easier than lines designed for delicate presentation, shortening the leader definitely helps and the oval cast

Chris

Comment

Chris is exactly right, especially on small rivers where you might be only casting 5-7 yards. Only part of the head of the line (i.e. the heavy part) is outside the tip so the rod won't flex properly. On small streams like this I go one or sometimes 2 line weights heavier to compensate and it really helps.

Comment

Above correct, try a bass style floater, these are designed to cast air resistent flies
                The airflo delta taper and the lee wolf tt lines where also ideal for sl's, short but heavy front tapers are ideal. Ive been usin a delta 6# for all my small river sl work for years, ps its no good for longer leaders and small fly work.
                Last edited by jj1; 01-08-2014, 17:22.

Comment

Thanks guys some great tips, some, which l already use and ones, which l'll try.

My current line is the Lee Wulff Traingular Taper in the 6 weight.

It's only on occasion that l struggle, so l'm reluctant to purchase a heavier line rated rod, although this is something l would like to do so l can start fishing a few of the larger rivers.

Thanks again

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X