Pics of the River Llugwy @ Betws-y-Coed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of the River Llugwy @ Betws-y-Coed

Took the family to beautiful Betws-y-Coed yesterday and with the weather being so kind took a few pics from the bridge in the town. If anyone is up in North Wales and have never been to the town i'd certainly recommend you take the time to go and visit - its stunning and the beer is nice & cold |\|\

Stunning! :} nice one Luke. Thanks for posting the pics.

TT.

Comment

Hi TT,
      completely diffirent subject but i've kayaked over those falls.::/

Comment

Stunning Indeed!

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
        Stunning! :} nice one Luke. Thanks for posting the pics.

TT.
        How old are the buildings?

fae

Comment

For Fred

Buildings probably 1820 onwards to late 19th C
          I have not fished here but know the area well from my climbing/hill walking days and worked in a pub in Capel Curig one summer as a student........

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Betws-y-Coed
          Welsh: Betws-y-Coed

Betws-y-Coed shown within the United Kingdom
          Population 1,187 (2001 census)
          OS grid reference SH795565
          Principal area Conwy
          Ceremonial county Clwyd
          Constituent country Wales
          Sovereign state United Kingdom
          Post town BETWS-Y-COED
          Postcode district LL24 0
          Dialling code 01690

European Parliament Wales
          UK Parliament Meirionnydd Nant Conwy
          List of places: UK • Wales • Conwy
          Coordinates: 53°05′31″N 3°47′31″W / 53.092, -3.792
          This article is about the place in Conwy. For other places called Betws or Bettws see Bettws.
          Betws-y-Coed (English: Prayer house in the wood, pronounced [ˈbɛtʊs ə ˈkɔɨd]) is a small town in the Conwy valley in the county borough of Conwy, north-west Wales. The name Betws or Bettws is generally thought to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon 'bed-hus' - a house of prayer, or oratory.

Betws-y-Coed lies in the Snowdonia National Park, in a valley near the point where the River Conwy is joined by the River Llugwy and the River Lledr, and was founded around a monastery in the late sixth century. The village grew very slowly with the development of the local lead mining industry. In 1815, the Waterloo Bridge built by Thomas Telford to carry the A5 road across the River Conwy and through the village, brought considerable transport-related development. The village became a major coaching centre between Corwen (to the east) and Capel Curig (to the west) on the Irish Mail route from London to Holyhead, which led to the improvement of the roads south to Blaenau Ffestiniog and north to Llanrwst and Conwy.

The construction of Betws-y-Coed railway station in 1868, heralding the arrival of the railway line from Llandudno Junction railway station, resulted in a marked population growth, as shown in the table below :

date population
          1749 200
          1801 359
          1847 451
          1896 740
          1904 881
          1931 912
          1961 788
          1971 729
          2001 1187

St. Michael's church - the original "prayer house in the wood"
          The river Llugwy, viewed from Pont-y-pair bridge
          Swallow Falls, near Betws-y-coedThe village has a large village green which is the playing field for the local football team. The green is bounded on its western side by the A5 Trunk Road with 19th Century buildings including shops, hotels, and the parish church of St. Mary. This church was built on the site of a former cockpit and fairground, and although it is of early English appearance, it was completed as recently as 1873, the internal roof timbers testifying to this relatively young age. The interior also features various types of stone - local bluestone, sandstone (and floor tiles) from Ancaster, and black serpentine from Cornwall. The square bell tower was added in 1907, and the integral church hall was added in the 1970s, the commemorative stone being laid by the Earl of Ancaster in 1976.

On the southern side of the green is Betws-y-Coed railway station with cafes and tourist shops and a car park. In the former railway goods yard, reached from the station, is the Conwy Valley Railway Museum with its extensive miniature railway. The village also has a motor museum with a collection of over thirty vintage automobiles.

Other attractions in the village include the Miners' Bridge and the fourteenth century church of St. Michael, which is the origin of the name Betws (meaning "prayer-house"). There are scenic walks beside the river Llugwy, which flows through the village, and the River Conwy provides further attractions including the Fairy Glen, the Conwy Fish pass and waterfalls including the Conwy Falls. The Pont-y-Pair Falls are in the centre of the village, and nearby are the famous Swallow Falls.

The picturesque Llyn Elsi reservoir nearby is popular with walkers and anglers, and also provides water for the village.

The village is also a centre for outdoor activities and lies within the Gwydyr Forest.

The village is home to at least one famous rock band; Melys were founded there in 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by aber angler View Post
            Hi TT,
            completely diffirent subject but i've kayaked over those falls.::/
            Not much room for error there!! :} looks a tight squeeze.

Thanks for the info July-Tourist, very interesting.

TT.

Comment

Last time i was there (long time ago), kids were jumping off the bridge and rocks into river, do they still do that?

S

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Last time i was there (long time ago), kids were jumping off the bridge and rocks into river, do they still do that?

S
                Simon afraid so there were 3 teenagers there while i was visiting 1 did it once from the bridge ::/ and the other 2 from the rocks just below the bridge - which i thought wasnt too dangerous but the 1st kid what a nutter - but then thats what they call Tomb Stoning i think :?

Comment

Many thanks JT

Those 'dates' give me a good idea just how young countries on this side of the Pond really are.:>

Comment

Working...
                  X