Need a gye net!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a gye net!

I have decided that i need a new net for sewin and salmon.
    I was thinking of getting a weigh net but looking back on a few different threads they dont seem to be easy to use, so i`ve been looking at a sharpes net.
    The question is, what is the best size to get, as i fish on my own a fair bit.
    They come in 24, 27, and 30 inch, so what would be the recommendation?
    Or is there something better out there?

Nets are always about compromise. 99% of the time it will be hanging on your back (or getting caught on brambles, or acting as a fly trap).
    For the 1% of the time when you need it however, you need it pretty badly, so, i would ask yourself, What do you realistically expect to be netting?
    If the stamp of fish is not going to be double figures, I think the compromise favours the smaller net.
    If you are seriously likely to find yourself in amongst the 20lb+ fish go for the 27". And the 30" version? - I would expect the gillie on the Kola Peninsula to bring his own in the helicopter luggage! |\

Comment

I agree with Aaron's comments. The largest size of Sharpes Gye net used to be 22". I still use one of these. It's an ideal size for sea trout, small enough to lessen the chances of getting the net caught up on passing obstructions, but was large enough to provide safe accommodation for my two pbs, a salmon of 27lbs and a sea trout of 17, as long as you net your fish head first rather than trying to spoon them up from up from underneath. I would have thought the modern 24" would be fine for almost anything in the way of salmon and sea trout that you are going to catch in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by teifi88 View Post
        I have decided that i need a new net for sewin and salmon.
        I was thinking of getting a weigh net but looking back on a few different threads they dont seem to be easy to use, so i`ve been looking at a sharpes net.
        The question is, what is the best size to get, as i fish on my own a fair bit.
        They come in 24, 27, and 30 inch, so what would be the recommendation?
        Or is there something better out there?
        IF YOU CAN SOURCE ONE
        A Whitlock folding net is definately the best net you'll ever see and use. Mine is years old and as good as new, mind you I've had to change the net bag a few times.
        It sits on my back, high enough so not to get into a tug of war with brambles and the likes, which is good, but even more so at night and doesn't interfere with casting.
        When needed I slip the bottom loop with one hand and its ready for action, if extra length is needed I just put my foot onto the frame and pull, not sure but I think that gives me about 70" or thereabouts of reach.
        I do have an old Hugh Falkus Sea trout net and although it's a bloody good net and frame it's an absolute pain to carry and it'll grab any and all obstacles it comes across. This net has the best reach of any net I've come across and if your not moving about much(which is rare for me) it's a good'un.
        Have a search on the web for Whitlock foldover nets to see what comes up.
        If you come across a second hand one of 10 years+ buy it, but it won't be cheap. I think I paid £70-£80 years ago, so they do last and built like tanks and they hold their value.
        If your around over the next few days and want to see this net I'm on the river (Teify), just send me a p.m. and well meet up somewhere.
        I wasted quite a bit of money on what were supposed to be(the best of the best) before I came across this net and wish I'd bought more than two, one of which went to a friend.

Cap
        Last edited by steelheadnut; 29-05-2014, 08:28. Reason: additional info

Comment

This is the one I use and have used for the last few seasons and love it; perfect size for sea trout and will net anything you're likely to catch in the Teifi

http://www.fastnetsports.com/telesco...rilse-net.html

TT.

Comment

I was given a Whitlock net for my 18th birthday.....i still use it now and i am over the big 40. Now there could be 2 reasons for this either it has not had much use or the workmanship on it has been exceptional. I'll leave you to decide.....
            Tight lines
            Aled

Comment

Working...
            X