Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nest Of Vipers

The Dressing

Carcass: A Partridge X1 Size 10 treble lashed to a 2" long section of doubled 25Lb BS Gorilla fluorocarbon lashed to a cut down front end of a size 2/0 sea fishing hook. (technique for this can be viewed in my step by step elsewhere on this forum)
    Thread: Red at rear and black at front
    Tag: No 4 Glo Brite Floss
    Body: Medium silver Mylar tube
    Wing (Tied in the round): Black dyed bucktail top and bottom overlaid with natural peacock sword. Red dyed Arctic fox both sides
    Cheeks: Jungle cock

www.silversalmon.co.uk

Very, very nice

Great colour combination and lovely dressing.

TT.

Comment

Very nice snake fly paterns you've knocked up there pal|\
      Is there any parts of the pools, snake flies fish better ie faster neck & tail end of pools, or fished slow & deep ?
      I haven't really had any luck on them for sea trout, I've had a couple of brownies on them, but I've lost faith in using them at the moment.

Comment

They are not a pattern that I would ever consider attempting to fish deep and slow. I consider their very design has maximum mobility in mind. It is highly unlikely that this can be achieved fished deep and slow. I have had my own most notable successes with the patterns swung through the necks of pools and then held back a little bit. The takes have always been extremely positive and sometimes quite violent.

Tied up in black and gold I do occasionally fish them for salmon and have had some half decent results again in the neck of pools twitched back and then long drawn.
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Great job, always worth a cast I find when there is a bit of water on or like you have said in the faster water at the necks of pools |\

Dai.

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies, I'll make sure I only fish these in fast water in future.

Comment

I have used one similar for a few seasons I always get plucks and fish, last season I lost my first tywi salmon on it . I rate this fly highly , my partner only fishes this fly all season through |\|\ matt

Comment

Gents should this pattern be fished with a bit of depth by the aid of a sinking line or simply on the surface. I have given some of my own snakes a go with no success and am unsure as to the best setup to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mintylad.{;

Comment

i find they are better fished in the heads and tails of the pools in fast water let them swing i have had no sucess with them any other way |\|\

Comment

Working...
                  X