Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewincaster line grain weight?

Hi chaps,
    Wondered if anybody knows the grain weight of the sewincaster lines?
    I have been using an airflo 40+ #8 which is fine, but fancied the intermediate sewincaster too. :@
    Problem is, the custom switch rod i have is 'finicky' if the grain weight is even a little bit light. The 40+ is approx 330 grains or 21.5 g

Cheers
    Aaron

Aaron, im not sure, i tried the inty tip on my shakey switch yestrday and while that and and 8# 40+ cast nicely overhead, neither did any good underhand/spey style casting.
    jon

Comment

If the shakespeare switch is a 7/8 in double hand rating then a 8 weight trout line would be way too light to Spey cast. You'd need a 10/11 weight 'trout' line or a 7/8 Spey.

All very annoying/confusing and one of the reasons I don't think switch rods are all that effective in heavier weights

Comment

Used my shakespeare switch last night with a Barrio 6\7 switch line, and it worked quite nicely overhead and spey casting!
        As i posted elsewhere though it is a compromise!

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
          Aaron, im not sure, i tried the inty tip on my shakey switch yestrday and while that and and 8# 40+ cast nicely overhead, neither did any good underhand/spey style casting.
          jon
          That's interesting jon, as the 40+ #8 'extreme' seems to spey cast great with my rod...
          Originally posted by T7 View Post
          If the shakespeare switch is a 7/8 in double hand rating then a 8 weight trout line would be way too light to Spey cast. You'd need a 10/11 weight 'trout' line or a 7/8 Spey.

All very annoying/confusing and one of the reasons I don't think switch rods are all that effective in heavier weights
          Seems to me, that even the manufacturers are confused as to whether some switch rods are for single or double hand lines.
          My 12' switch, will cast the 40+ as above no problems, but it also happily casts an Orvis easycast spey line 7/8 with a 57' head without feeling at all overloaded. I then tried a Hardy mach 7/8 @ 35 g and 48' head with it, and it could hardly lift it!
          Manufacturers really need to get to grips with some clarity on switch rods and their corresponding line weights.
          Anyone new to the sport, would be forgiven for throwing the towel in with the current situation..... ::
          Last edited by aaron; 20-04-2014, 18:49.

Comment

Aaron, my rod is a foot shorter and this mayhave had a bearing on loop forming?

Comment

Aaron, my rod is a foot shorter and this mayhave had a bearing on loop forming?
              Possibly jon. I wonder if you were trying your set up in a confined area? I tend to use the 12 footer when I've got a good bit of room behind to play with which tends to let you open your shoulder up without fear of getting caught up or if I'm fishing from the bank where I've got the extra lift in my favour....
              On the Teifi, where space is tight, i use an 11 footer with a Snowbee switch line that only has a 29 ft head.

Comment

I know this is slightly off the original topic, but I found the Sewincaster intermediate tip to cast well using a single handed spey cast (10ft 8wt rod). MAYBE the head needs to be more compact like the 40+ Extreme, similar to a skagit for the switch rod?

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Cromarty View Post
                  I know this is slightly off the original topic, but I found the Sewincaster intermediate tip to cast well using a single handed spey cast (10ft 8wt rod). MAYBE the head needs to be more compact like the 40+ Extreme, similar to a skagit for the switch rod?

Tim
                  Totally agree Tim. The sewincaster lines spey and jump roll superbly with my 10ft #8's too. Have not tried on a switch though.

TT.

Comment

Sewin caster won't do it with a switch rod in my experience. Although the rods are designed to do both single and double handed casting, you also need to SWITCH lines between overhead / spey casting line. The Switch lines are a compromise between the 2 lines and they work but it may be better to find a line that suits your switch rod for overhead and for spey casting.

Geraint

Comment

Well, cheers guys,
                      I think I'll have to stick to the 40+ line, and maybe get the intermediate version too....
                      Shame about the sewin caster, but with a finicky rod, it's safest to stick to what i know works with it.......

Comment

Had another go with the sewin caster yestrday, i have to amend my original statement and say it will snap t and spey cast/ underhand but tops out at around 22 yds, the bario 7/8 switch line on the other hand seems to be made for the shakey switch and just flies out!

Comment

the bario 7/8 switch line on the other hand seems to be made for the shakey switch and just flies out!
                          This is what i found too!|\

Comment

Working...
                          X