Shakespeare switch rod?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shakespeare switch rod?

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to try a Shakespeare switch rod yet!
    I really fancy adding a switch rod to my collection but don't want to spend too much on something i may not get on with!
    The only Shakespeare rod ive tried is my sons trion 9ft,And i was very impressed!
    The thing that does put me off the Shakespeare switch is that it's a six piece, though don't know if that's a problem!
    Any advice will be welcome!
    Last edited by teifi88; 07-04-2014, 21:33.

Tried a friends and it was ok, 9ft 'ish #8; seemed a bit floppy but could have been overloaded with wrong line weight??

Not sure what others think but I like the Vision Range, they put a line out where you want it, subtle enough in the tip to pick smaller fish from a stream but can handle a double figure beast when it needs to and you certainly want it to|\

Comment

Think the rod im looking at is 11ft!

Comment

Most shops are getting their stocks this week, its a nice rod tbh, tried a sample 3 weeks ago and it sent out a full #8 switch line

Comment

Sounds like it could be just what i`m looking for!

Comment

You dont notice its 6pc either, i bought a 7pc #10 bass rod also and its a1, i think shakey got their sh!t togetha atm.

Comment

Does it only come in a 7/8 weight?

Comment

As far as i know of just yet, its an addition to the dh oracle range.

Comment

Presumably it's a spey rated 7/8, not single hand rated??

(i.e. 20-24g heads?)

Comment

Being a switch rod, and as such presumably suitable for single handed casting, wouldn`t a 7/8 spey rated line be a little hard going?
                    Don`t know much about line ratings, but just asking!
                    Sorry if it`s a bit of a silly question!

Comment

Originally posted by teifi88 View Post
                      Being a switch rod, and as such presumably suitable for single handed casting, wouldn`t a 7/8 spey rated line be a little hard going?
                      Don`t know much about line ratings, but just asking!
                      Sorry if it`s a bit of a silly question!

There is nothing at all silly in your question. To give you an idea of perspective I have a 7 weight Vision Catapult switch which is rated at 26g and use a Rio AFS 26g 7 weight on it. You can cast it single handed but I wouldn't want to do that all day long. I also have a 5 weight Zpey switch rated at 18g and with a 19g AFS it casts very easily double handed. It will cast single handed but there never really seems like there is any real need. I remain to be convinced regarding a line that is equally matched for 2 handed Spey casting and single handed overhead casting because lines designed for each type of casting are designed far differently from each other. Lines developed for Spey casting have the majority of the head weight at the front end of the line to allow the rod to load with a D loop. Lines designed for overhead casting however have the weight more evenly distributed along their length to maximise the efficiency of overhead casts. Please bear in mind that this is a generalisation only and I only use it to highlight the general difference between line types. Here is a video clip of some trial work I did with an Orvis Helios 11ft Switch rod rated at 26g that Orvis sent me to have a bang with. I wouldn't wish to ram double handed casting down anybodies throat but if a rod has the facility to be thrown with both hands either overhead or with D loop casting then it is usually far less effort than using just one.
                      Last edited by laffingravy; 08-04-2014, 22:25.
                      www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Well, ordered a Shakespear switch rod and picking it up next week!
                        Now all i have to do is work out what line to use on it!
                        The probability is that it will be mostly used as a d/h on the middle Teifi!
                        Looking at a Airflo 40+ at the moment, but a bit confused about line weight`s!
                        Once again, any advice welcome!

Comment

Its rated at 24grm, there will be a 8/9 27grm out shortly and lines to follow.
                          jon

Comment

Thanks jj1.
                            So do you think an 8# Airflo 40+ would do the job, or have i got it wrong?

Comment

Sry but i dnt kno what the grain rate is on those, do u kno anyone who has one to try on it?
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X