Moon Phase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moon Phase

Hi there, to everyone, it will not be long now before we can cast a fly for Sea Trout, fantastic. I have been actively reading about Sea Trout fishing with different moon phases. I have been quite lucky to fish for Sea Trout, with very experienced and knowledgeable companions, who, have taught me quite a lot about Sea Trout night fishing. When I look over my fishing diary, I have made catches of two or three fish in one night, under quarter moon phases. I lived next door to a very famous river keeper who was an expert at catching them.
    He once quoted that he liked a moon when Sea Trout fishing.
    For me to access my fishing it is eighty miles from my house, and therefore, need to choose appropriate moon phases. With the cost of fuel these days, I'm quite sure you can see my point. I know cover is an important factor, but as anyone got any advice?

I think tide times are most important (obviously linked to the moon) especially lower down a system where fresh fish will come in on every high tide. Prefer a dark night with no moon though

Comment

In the book "Sea Trout and Occasional Salmon", Jeffrey Bluett details his catch records to advance the theory that the period of the waxing moon, ie from the New Moon to the Full Moon, is better than the following two weeks when the moon is waning. He fished in the Tavy, so this may have been a local effect - I've not seen anyone else pursue this theory.

Paul

Comment

moon phase

Originally posted by T7 View Post
        I think tide times are most important (obviously linked to the moon) especially lower down a system where fresh fish will come in on every high tide. Prefer a dark night with no moon though
        Cheers T7, holly

Comment

moon phase

Originally posted by phl View Post
          In the book "Sea Trout and Occasional Salmon", Jeffrey Bluett details his catch records to advance the theory that the period of the waxing moon, ie from the New Moon to the Full Moon, is better than the following two weeks when the moon is waning. He fished in the Tavy, so this may have been a local effect - I've not seen anyone else pursue this theory.

Paul
          Cheers Paul, I can plan my long journeys on this basis, however, I sometimes think, just do it.
          Regards, holly.

Comment

"Ignore the wise acre who hangs up his rod and speaks of thunder; let others tap the glass and funk the ground mist; don't worry if the air is dry or the grass is wet or the wind is north, south, east or west, if you want to fish - then fish."

Hugh Falkus

|\

Comment

moon phase

"Ignore the wise acre who hangs up his rod and speaks of thunder; let others tap the glass and funk the ground mist; don't worry if the air is dry or the grass is wet or the wind is north, south, east or west, if you want to fish - then fish."

Hugh Falkus

|\
              I most certainly agree with the above quotation, cheers T7.
              Regards, holly.
              Get in touch if you are ever in this part of the country, we will have a cast on the River Lune.

Comment

I live in Manchester so fished the Lune once or twice, but not for a few years. Whereabouts do you fish on the Lune?

Comment

moon phase

I live in Manchester so fished the Lune once or twice, but not for a few years. Whereabouts do you fish on the Lune?
                  I fish at Whittington, just downstream of the Kirkby Lonsdale stretch, or next beat, upstream of Newton. I hope to start this season on the 28th of May, subject to conditions; there is a new moon on the 28th.

Comment

I used to fish at KL on the opposite bank to the town. Lovely spot and I did quite well on there (mostly small fish). Didn't keep the ticket unfortunately...

Comment

Working...
                    X