Felt soles; banned!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt soles; banned!

By all accounts come the end of the year it will be illegal to use felt soles in the UK, or so I was informed yesterday. Anyone heard anything about this? By all accounts, and I guess it makes sense, 'bugs' are transported from river to river etc. from being absorbed into the felt. {;

Glad I've got a pair of korkers now, will make changing over a lot easier....

TT.

Presumably neoprene wetsuits [for use with a fiberglass canoe] will be ok, I imagine - can't upset a few canoeists can we? But thousands of anglers, well the Goverment probably assumes we won't vote for them anyway.

Tyke.

PS if worried about transmitting Gyro or other nasties between different rivers on boots / waders etc then put them in a bin bag & chuck em in the freezer for 24 hrs, I imagine that should kill off any life forms present. T.

Comment

Inerseting Steff.

Are we going down the same road as what they have adopted in New Zealand?

Thing is, now what do I do. I am at the verge of purchasing a new pair of wading boots!!

I am also going to Canada at the end of next month. My plan was to buy a new pair of felt sole specifically for taking over ther & not use them over here. A good idea in my opinion!

Where did you get that info from then Steff?
      Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

Will be a pain but is fair enough in IMHO, key to parasite survival is having a nice nice wet spot to persist in until your "host" transplants you into a new river.

What are "korkers" by the way?

Sam

Comment

Leighton; I won't 'out' the person, but needless to say it's someone that I would trust, and info that I wouldn't pass on otherwise. Yes, I 100% think it's down the line's of what's being adopted in NZ. To be honest mate, if you were going to buy a new pair, I would look for the aquastealth soles, which are supposedly very good, but I have yet to try them.

Sam; totally agree, it will be a pain but does make sense, for once - especially so for those of us lucky enough to travel to some exotic destinations from time to time; you never know what could be hitching a lift in the felt, I guess.

Korkers are wading boots that have changeable soles, got my first pair a couple of months ago and find them great. Will make the changeover a lot easier, as you can just take out the felt and replace them with the e.g. aquastealth without having to buy a new boot.

TT.

Comment

well im not changing mine ive only just got em

Comment

Not that 'unusual' here on this side of the Pond.

Originally posted by Teifi-Terrorist View Post
              By all accounts come the end of the year it will be illegal to use felt soles in the UK, or so I was informed yesterday. Anyone heard anything about this? By all accounts, and I guess it makes sense, 'bugs' are transported from river to river etc. from being absorbed into the felt. {;

Glad I've got a pair of korkers now, will make changing over a lot easier....

TT.

Ditto, boats, etc. What you need to do is take a small tub (squareish) and put a half gallon of water in same, plus a half cup of Bleach. Slop around for a minute or two and "what ever" is a dead issue.

Welcome to SE'st America.|\

Comment

thats the way to do it |\

Comment

SH!T ,
                  bad for us i have to buy waders and boots for SWMBO expensive boy and modest me ,just about got us sorted with boots and spares boy and I match foot size ,the leader has smaller feet though .

Comment

Leighton; I won't 'out' the person, but needless to say it's someone that I would trust, and info that I wouldn't pass on otherwise. Yes, I 100% think it's down the line's of what's being adopted in NZ. To be honest mate, if you were going to buy a new pair, I would look for the aquastealth soles, which are supposedly very good, but I have yet to try them.
                    TT.
                    Steff,

Please dont think that I was questioning your source of information, thats not my style. I was only wondering if there was any info out there on it. I know that DEFRA have produced a paper on GS.

I will have to look out for aquastealth then!!

Anyway, thanks for the info Steff.

Diolch.
                    Born to fish........Forced to work!! :>

Comment

By all accounts come the end of the year it will be illegal to use felt soles in the UK, or so I was informed yesterday.

Is there a 'white paper' or discussion document to be published first?

Originally posted by Teify-Terrorist View Post
                      Anyone heard anything about this? By all accounts, and I guess it makes sense, 'bugs' are transported from river to river etc. from being absorbed into the felt.

Is that the view of all??~# ~# ::

I think responsible anglers should be given the option to disinfect their tackle; as well as their felt boots.
                      This system works for Iceland.

Anyway - surely residual canoe 'bilge' water holds a trillion fold more 'bugs'
                      This is the most likely way for salmon pathogens to spread.

Ella
                      Last edited by Salmonella; 12-07-2008, 10:29. Reason: Syntax corrected

Comment

not putting disenfection on ,my tackle to bloody painfull lol :::>:@

Comment

Not heard any more about this here or elswhere ,any updates ?????????????????

Comment

Nothing I'm afraid ACW, can't find anything on the web either, other than for NZ. Will update if I find/hear anything more.

Again, as originally pointed out in the first post, I was putting it on the forum to see if anyone else had heard anything about it. I guess it may never come to fruition. {;

TT.

Comment

Certainly hope it comes to nothing ,as mentioned the thought of new boots for 3 of reasonable quality makes me sort of wish boy "finds the other sex " quickly :?~:.

Comment

Working...
                              X