Afon Gwendraeth.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afon Gwendraeth.

Just joined Cross Hands and District angling club, and when i looked at the beats i noticed that they have a couple of beats on the Gwendraeth!
    Just wondering if any members have any experience of this river, and if so any advice?
    Thought it might be quite good for starting my son on the fly!
    Jamie.

Sorry Jamie but I know nothing of this river, but there must be someone on here that does. I believe that it's quite tree lined, so perhaps not the best place to start fly fishing.

TT.

Comment

Cheer`s Steff.
      Might be over that way in the next few day`s, so will call in for a look!
      Jamie.

Comment

I have fished the Gwendraith for the last 8 years since I moved to the area. As suggested the river is very tree lined especially from the Kidwelly by-pass upto the tin works Museum, no chance of casting a fly.
        The other stretch is more open but there are short, shallow runs and only a couple of pools that hold fish. On this stretch the farmer has done some river "maintenance" work about 2 years ago which has straightened the river in places, and taken out some useful lies which could be productive when the river was running strong.
        I do like the river and will catch a salmon every other year and 3 or 4 sewin each year, mainly spinning, although I did have the shock of my life last year when a reasonable sewin took a size 14 dry fly and put a real bend in my rod until the hook straightened.
        I always enjoy walking along a new beat or river and learning its moods in various circumstances, come and have a look for yourself
        Tony

Comment

Cheers Tony!
          I think Cross Hands has two beats!
          One is before the Ferryside turning heading towards Carmarthen!
          Think the other one is down by Kidwelly!
          Will have a walk as soon as time allows.
          Jamie.

Comment

Working...
          X