Flies for different areas and rivers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies for different areas and rivers.

Evening everyone. I'm trying to compile a library or reference list of recommended flies for rivers in different areas of the UK for myself. This might be a well-covered subject on the forum so I'd appreciate suggestions for maybe half dozen of the best for the rivers you fish regularly. I'll collate it and post it up on the forum.

Originally posted by Dai View Post
    Evening everyone. I'm trying to compile a library or reference list of recommended flies for rivers in different areas of the UK for myself. This might be a well-covered subject on the forum so I'd appreciate suggestions for maybe half dozen of the best for the rivers you fish regularly. I'll collate it and post it up on the forum.
    Hi Dai, before I proceed I think it is appropriate to let you know, I'm relatively new to the River Lune in terms of experience, however, these are flies I have caught with:
    Silver Stoat's Tail, Stoat's Tail, Mallard and Claret, Teal Blue and Silver/Medicine, Invicta. Here's a fly from the early 1940/50 - John Spencer.
    Hope this is of use. holly.

Comment

Flies

As an angler I have boxes of flies in every colour/size combination but never really use them except in desperation!
      For the Dwyfor I tend to stick to 5 flies but in a lot of different sizes for water conditions even the part of the pool, also vary the body from "normal" tinsel to holographic or mylar.
      Teal Blue Silver always on low water salmon hook/double on the point then either a Mallard & Claret or more usually a Kingfisher Butcher with a black squirrel wing on the dropper. Blue & silver tandem sometimes with a spot of red & the surface lure.
      After fishing for Sea Trout for 40 years I have come to the conclusion (in my experience) that is not so much the fly itself but the profile/depth/size/speed that matters most.

Comment

Not sure if you are talking day or night but I use Silver Stoats Tail 1/2 inch tube with #10 barbless on point and, [sorry, minds gone blank, but it's a large Stillwater black and silver thing that also creates a wake], at night and same but smaller point fly plus Teal/Butcher/Bloody Butcher combo in poor light or in under the bank.

This works for me on the TTA waters of the Teifi

On the Wye; a 1" Butcher pattern tube fly in under the trees at last light, [no night fishing allowed], accounts for the Sea trout and some very big Browns.

I always start with these and change to whatever desperation dictates as the time goes by; but always something BLACK on the Teifi and BLUE/RED/SILVER on the Wye....

I fully agree with Sawyer in that it's more than the fly pattern that counts; it's as much to do with confidence, and as long as they make a "noise" in the water, I'm confident. |\

HA! Got it>>>>>> Viva, black with a red tail. That's a great fly for the Teifi. [Bugger the purists]

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
          After fishing for Sea Trout for 40 years I have come to the conclusion (in my experience) that is not so much the fly itself but the profile/depth/size/speed that matters most.
          Could not agree more. Whilst certain colours can work better on certain rivers I would always say that size, depth and profile are the key patterns and would always prefer to see a box full of different lengths and profiles all dressed in black and silver than a box full of the same size and profile but different colours. Then it's down to the depth that it's fished at and, as important, the speed that it's retrieved at.

TT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
            As an angler I have boxes of flies in every colour/size combination but never really use them except in desperation!
            For the Dwyfor I tend to stick to 5 flies but in a lot of different sizes for water conditions even the part of the pool, also vary the body from "normal" tinsel to holographic or mylar.
            Teal Blue Silver always on low water salmon hook/double on the point then either a Mallard & Claret or more usually a Kingfisher Butcher with a black squirrel wing on the dropper. Blue & silver tandem sometimes with a spot of red & the surface lure.
            Indeed.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X