Low Water Double Hooks for Sea Trout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Water Double Hooks for Sea Trout

Hi there, has anyone had success when fishing at night > 11 PM, with low water double hooks, size 6 or 8?
    I have had success during the day when fishing a falling water, with a 'wee' touch of colour in the river.

A friend of mine was told by a North Scotland Gillie, that he only fished with low water double hooks for Sea Trout.

I know the single fly will get more offers than the double, but I was just wondering if anyone has had, much success with the double.

I shall be giving them a try this May.

Thanks in anticipation, holly.

Yes I often use a double on the point early in the night, usually a silver stoat or similar. I find with the bit of extra weight it will dig in a bit better than a single especially in faster water or using a full floater. Also a good fly to use if there is a chance of a summer salmon

EDIT: sorry just noticed you said late in the night
    Last edited by T7; 25-02-2014, 07:09.

Comment

Hi Holly , had my first sea trout of the season a few years back April/may time 7lb on a size 10 double 12 midnight and have caught many more late night early morning so well worth giving them a go |\

Comment

If fishing fast/turbulent water I always opt for a double as I think it has more chance of connecting, our flies do not always fish at the angle we would like & I reckon the extra weight of the double keeps it on an even keel.

Comment

Originally posted by T7 View Post
          Yes I often use a double on the point early in the night, usually a silver stoat or similar. I find with the bit of extra weight it will dig in a bit better than a single especially in faster water or using a full floater. Also a good fly to use if there is a chance of a summer salmon

EDIT: sorry just noticed you said late in the night
          Many thanks T7, much appreciated, HH.

Comment

Originally posted by cullster View Post
            Hi Holly , had my first sea trout of the season a few years back April/may time 7lb on a size 10 double 12 midnight and have caught many more late night early morning so well worth giving them a go |\
            Many thanks cullster, much appreciated, holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sawyer View Post
              If fishing fast/turbulent water I always opt for a double as I think it has more chance of connecting, our flies do not always fish at the angle we would like & I reckon the extra weight of the double keeps it on an even keel.
              Many thanks Sawyer, for your constructive reply, holly.

Comment

Working...
              X