Early attempt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early attempt!

Only just started tying fly`s and thought i`d share this hopefully to get a few opinion`s!
    I realize that it is not to the standard`s of a lot of the fly tier`s on here but just hoping for a few pointer`s!

Not a bad atempt for your first time pal, i'm no expert myself, far from it. The only 2 thing I would do different is the top wing want's to be slightly longer than the underwing & I like the bottom beard hackle to touch roughly around the hook points. Just keep practicing

Comment

Teifi,
      You should be happy with that as a 1st attempt, my 1st flies were a right mess, although I did catch a few Brownies on them which at the end of the day is all that matters, let the fish be the Judge, I would tie your fly on my leader and use, I would shorten the under wing/beard a little but otherwise a very good effort, |\ well done, keep it going, you will soon get the hang of the materials and a neater fly will emerge, I enjoyed tying page 3 flies and got a lot of satisfaction in doing so, but personally I prefered a rough and ready looking pattern for fishing with.

Mike

Comment

Good attempt.. practice makes perfect it's much better than my first effort I threw mine in the bin in case someone saw it::/ it was a right shambles but as u keep at it u will see them getting neater, have a look on you tube for tying videos and use them as a step by step that's how I got my tying much tidyer I still at times get in a pickle with the odd fly. Try the davie mcfail vids there clear and close and he's one of the best well except for tt of course:@ hope this helps and no matter how bad it gets just just try and try again ....
        theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Not my very first fly as I had a go with a couple of nymphs before this though they don't look too good!
          Did find it easier to tie this than the very small flies I tried first!
          Anyway thanks a lot for the advice.
          Must admit I am enjoying having a go at this, even though they seem to be taking forever at he moment!

Comment

The thing is with practice comes improvement. If you are only just starting out then you will improve loads in the early stages of what you are doing. Your starting standard is extremely high so I for one cannot wait to see your patterns as you develop your techniques further. Most new fly dressers and indeed some very long established ones lash tonnes of material to hooks . Your material distribution is excellent and this is not at all a bad pattern. Please stick at it and keep posting your stuff.

If I can ask a really silly question, there appears to be a hold coloured cylindrical shape at the eye. Can I ask what it is please?
            www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

good, well done.keep at it.|\

Comment

Originally posted by laffingravy View Post
                The thing is with practice comes improvement. If you are only just starting out then you will improve loads in the early stages of what you are doing. Your starting standard is extremely high so I for one cannot wait to see your patterns as you develop your techniques further. Most new fly dressers and indeed some very long established ones lash tonnes of material to hooks . Your material distribution is excellent and this is not at all a bad pattern. Please stick at it and keep posting your stuff.

If I can ask a really silly question, there appears to be a hold coloured cylindrical shape at the eye. Can I ask what it is please?
                It`s a sort of brass dumbell type eye!

Comment

Originally posted by teifi88 View Post
                  It`s a sort of brass dumbell type eye!

Ahhhhhhh now I get it. Just a personal opinion but my own feeling is that your fly would look much better without it |\
                  www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Ahhhhhhh now I get it. Just a personal opinion but my own feeling is that your fly would look much better without it |\
                    Probably right!
                    Just put it on to add a bit of weight!

Comment

It will also fish upside down. Not necessarily a bad thing but the thicker, longer wing will be on the bottom...

Comment

I was wondering about that! {;

Comment

Working...
                        X