Silver Stoats Tail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver Stoats Tail

Hi there, I have just had a very interesting conversation with a fantastic Sea Trout Fisher and the closing question was, "If you had to choose one fly and one fly only, for ever, in pursuit of Sea Trout, which one would it be?"
    Well, I would be confident with the Silver Stoat's Tail in various sizes, particularly a size 6, 01 Wilson single hook, or a 25mm tube fly.
    I am of course making reference to night time pursuit of Sea Trout, does anyone agree with my choice?
    Hoping for a better season for everyone this year!

I only use silver stoat tubes every time |\
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Silver Stoats Tail Tubes

Thanks for your rapid reply.

I use the needle tubes for Sea Trout and I have found them quite effective!

Silver Stoats Tail Tubes, tied with the addition of pearl strips, one either side.

Comment

I usually use a plastic tube with holographic tinsel body, with black arctic Fox wing on top only nothing underneath....
        theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Depends on where your fishing holly, my fav on the tywi is not my fav on the ogmore which itself is diffrent to the dyfi, nevern, nith, mole etc,
          i think you need 6 patterns in many guises and sizes to cover sewin as one just wont do it :>

Comment

Black and silver/pearl would be number one choice for me but like to have a few options!

Comment

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
              Depends on where your fishing holly, my fav on the tywi is not my fav on the ogmore which itself is diffrent to the dyfi, nevern, nith, mole etc,
              i think you need 6 patterns in many guises and sizes to cover sewin as one just wont do it :>
              So what are your favourite patterns for each of those rivers JJ? And more importantly why?

Comment

The why is simple, its what the fish find attractive! Rivers fish diffrently in differing heights, even different sections of the same pools fish differently, not just at different heights but at different times of the night, not to mention throwing in the curve ball of different times of the season. One fly will just not cover this! I will just list my favourits for perfect conditions on a few rivers at peak times.
                lower tywi spring: 2" black n blue tube point,1.5" black n yellow wad dropper.
                Mid tywi summer: 1.5" orange sword secret weapon point, no 6 hairwing bloody butcher dropper.
                ogmore summer: 1.25" red sword sec wep point, no 8 blue flash stoats dropper.
                nevern summer no 10 b175 red alexandera point, no 12 pennel dropper.
                mole early summer: 1.5" black sword sec wep point, no 8 hairwing blood butcher dropper.
                dyfi june: 1.5" black n yellow tube point, 1" alexandera tube dropper.
                different fly profiles, winging material and weights will also be needed to fish off different density lines as to achieve maximum water coverage and ps the surface lure is also required but this is generally a mid summer onwards fly. Sorry i have complicated the thread lol
                jon

Comment

You may also be thinking do sea trout see colour at night, im sure they do! Compounded into this is that not all rivers are clear, some have varrying degrees of peat stain as others have varying levels of algal infestations and the slight varyation in colour or hue can mean the diffrence between a fish and several, what works well on one river doesnt allways do it on the next. Ive spent more hours than i can care to mention experimenting with flies and colours on many many rivers and colour as well as profile matters, but this means nothing if you arnt covering them, so learn the water first then experiment with flies.
                  jon

Comment

Very interesting, thanks JJ!

Comment

I also think we should take into account Aled's two favorite words in fly fishing SELF CONFIDENCE!
                      I also aggree with jj about fly profile, colour and water clarity, but does water speed play a part?
                      The Stoats tail is a cracking sea trout fly, and it will get used at some point in the season by most of us.
                      However give me the colour combination of black, red and silver, some of the flies all silver bodies some all black bodies from size 12 to 3inches and i'm on the whole happy.
                      Tight Lines
                      Aled

Comment

Silver Stoat's Tail

Originally posted by jj1 View Post
                        Many thanks to all who replied, I find the information and advice fantastic.

These posts keep me informed during the close season, so to reiterate, many thanks to all, holly.

Comment

Forgot to add though i dont half love using Black n Organge flies once we hit July!
                          Tight Lines
                          Aled
                          Last edited by Aled; 10-01-2014, 15:41.

Comment

Ahh, but thats the beauty of choice and self confidence Aled!

Comment

Too much choice gives the sea trout anglers curse - Self Doubt!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X