Clear All

• A Whole New BallPARK

From the outset I will apologise for my terrible, awful pun ::

The Dressing

Body: Eumer 15mm Brass Teardrop Tube and Cone Silver
    Thread: Any
    First Hackle: Yellow dyed hen saddle tyed doubled
    Sub Wing: Yellow dyed calf tail
    Wing: Orange dyed marble Arctic fox overlaid with 3 doubled strands of fine mother of peal flash overlaid with yellow dyed marble Arctic fox overlaid with orange dyed Arctic runner overlaid with yellow dyed Arctic runner overlaid with 2 horns of fine mother of peal tinsel overlaid with black dyed marble Arctic fox.
    Front hackle: Black dyed badger hen saddle tied doubled
    Cheeks: Jungle cock

I have been tying them as part of the collection for the coming spring. The Eden opens on 14th Jan 2014 and as you might have all guessed I really cannot wait.

A very happy New Year to you all :D
    www.silversalmon.co.uk

You have tyed a good few tube flies there laffingravy, I hope you a rewarded with your efforts, on the river.
    Thanks for sharing |\

Comment

Can I ask you how you fish with the snelder tube flies ?
      I've tyed a few up myself but, i'm curious as to how is the best way for tying the hooks on because you can't really have the hooks in the tail, I take it they must be away of trailing the hook behind or to the side of the tail.{;

Comment

Originally posted by lancsflyman View Post
        Can I ask you how you fish with the snelder tube flies ?
        I've tyed a few up myself but, i'm curious as to how is the best way for tying the hooks on because you can't really have the hooks in the tail, I take it they must be away of trailing the hook behind or to the side of the tail.{;

The hooks are mounted exactly as you would mount hooks on a tubefly i.e. with the monofilament attached to the hook and pulled up to a junction tube at the tail. This may seem a little bit odd in today's world where tying wings and tails 'in the round' on tubeflies seems to have gone very much out of phase. The fact is however the Snaelda is a highly successful pattern particularly in spring. It has done for a lot of fish for me. I have never found an issue with poor hook up rates, certainly no more than with flies tied with a wing or tail on top of the tube. I have never really had issue with bucktail fouling the hook point(s). If using softer more mobile materials such as Arctic fox or goat hair then I feel it prudent to add a sub wing of a supporting material such as calf tail which is excellent for keeping hook points clear. I hope that this proves understandable to you but if you have any questions then please feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my highly limited understanding.

All the very best,
        Geoff
        www.silversalmon.co.uk

Comment

Another great fly gravy I would like to see it with a gold or orange cone:@|\
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Very very attractive, I Iike them "alot"

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X