tonight's effort

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonight's effort

Thought it was about time I posted a photo of one of my tying efforts any feedback much appreciated. Please be gentle. First time I've used the salar hooks and must admit I find them easier to tie with than the low water hook I have been using til now.
    Attached Files

Good effort minty.. a few pointers try to keep back from the eye of the hook a little more when tying in the wing and hackles or up end up going to far over the eye with your finished head I used to do it and still do at times but have learned to just go to 3/4 up the the hook for the body then u got plenty of room for the wing and hackles and you will end up with a neater head hope this helps keep at it ull get there|\
    Last edited by johnevs; 13-12-2013, 18:39.
    theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

Thanks for the feedback John. I know what you are saying about the head I just can't seem to stop myself from doing it. Guess I need to just keep practicing. Thanks again.

Richy

Comment

Good effort minty. Have you looked at Davie McPhail's videos on youtube? Some excellent tips in them and he has tyings of loads of patterns.

One piece of advice I would give is concentrate on getting one pattern right - something like a silver stoat. Use the videos and all the stuff on the web to help you and once you can do one of them consistently you'll have no problem moving on to more complex patterns.

Silver stoat has to be one of the best sea trout and salmon patterns around as well

Comment

Yes t7 that's how I got to know where I was going wrong was watching those davie mcfail vids I find it easier to use salmon hooks rather than the small hooks their not as fiddly
          theres no room at the inn... our country is full

Comment

The more flies you tie the better you will get, its all a matter of getting to know your materials and what can be done with them with reference to their properties IE bulkiness, strength, How many turns of this, where you tie stuff in at, leaving enough room for hackle, wing and a finish, Keep it up and things will fall into place.
            Attending Flydressing classes held over the winter months would also help things along, maybe your local club does them, if not then your local branch of the Flydressers Guild.

Mike

Comment

Minty
              Carmarthen Amature are holding fly tying classes over the winter months at the Carmarthen Football Club, well worth attending as the amount of information you pick up regarding tying and fishing is amazing, as I have found out. I think that the next session is on Wednesday 8th January 2014 at 7pm. It is an ideal opportunity to learn about materials, tying and having a chat about fishing in general during this miserable time of year.
              Last edited by mepps4me; 15-12-2013, 10:12. Reason: 2014 not 2013

Comment

Working...
              X